Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metal-Semiconductor Junction

1. Feb 4, 2010 #1
    Hi,

I have a questions regarding semiconductor-metal junctions that has been left unresolved. I hope that you can offer me an explaination.

I know that when a metal and n-doped semiconductor are in contact upward band bending occurs. This is because the Fermi levels in the two materials must be the same. This causes a diffusion force on the electrons. Eventually positive charge builds up near the junction which halts the diffusion current, thus establishing equilibrium.

My question is: what causes the shape of the potential? Why is it easier for electrons to flow in one direction than the other? The potential seems to undergo a steep drop on the metal side and a gradual drop on the semiconductor side. What causes this?

Thanks,
    abomination5

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2010 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

I would say because the screening length in the metal is much shorter than in the semiconductor due to the higher electron density.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook