Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metal surfaces for bbq grills

1. Aug 14, 2011 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I was at this japanese tepenaki places or however you spell it where they make the food in front of you and my dad had an interesting though. The stations they have have these big flat cooking areas powered underneath by what I assume were a bunch of gas burners.

We bought a new bbq and my dad wondered whether or not there exists something that would kind of turn your bbq into one of those stations! It would be a large, flat, metal surface that could hook onto your actual bbq grill. The concept seems ridiculously simple. The grills are just called "Flat-top" grills, but they all seem to be self-contained units from what I've noticed. Does anyone know of one that you can just add onto your own bbq grill? :O

Here's the link if you're wondering http://www.cook-n-dine-usa.com/GALL...eppanyaki_grill_cooktop_MO-80_Ki-CDS120-L.jpg

DISCUSS!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2011 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  4. Aug 14, 2011 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Google "cast iron griddle". You'll get things like this:

41CHoPbptEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

5. Aug 14, 2011 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Would it be stable when put on a bbq pit though? I mean, beyond the stability due to it's ginormous weight?

6. Aug 14, 2011 #5

turbo

Gold Member

Yes, as long as you put the flat griddle on a decent grill. Obviously, it's not going to be a good idea to try to balance a cast-iron griddle on a little Weber Smokey Joe, but it will work perfectly on something like this, fired by gas, wood, charcoal...

chargriller.jpg

7. Aug 14, 2011 #6
    I have used big cast iron griddles on just about every kind of cooking fire you can imagine. They are great, and you never really wash them, which is always a plus in my book.

8. Aug 15, 2011 #7

FlexGunship

Gold Member

"Mmm, what is this? It tastes like chicken... and peppers... and salmon... and eggs and barbecue sauce, and onions, and mushrooms, and carbon, and steak, and..."

9. Aug 15, 2011 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

10. Aug 15, 2011 #9

11. Aug 16, 2011 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I like it. I like ideas that are 1) cheap and 2) involve me stealing from government agencies.

12. Aug 18, 2011 #11
    How about a scrap piece of stainless plate? There are often new material "drops" for sale. Drops are the left over pieces from a larger sheared order. You might also try the local scrap metal yard for used material. For food, however, used material might be a little risky.

13. Aug 19, 2011 #12

turbo

Gold Member

Shouldn't be too much of a problem. Hit the plate with a wash of muriatic acid, then scrub it with Dawn or some other heavy detergent and rinse. Put the plate on the grill and heat the crap out of it to burn off other impurities. It ought to be ready to use. After burning off the plate, I would coat it with cooking oil and sea-salt and re-heat it, but maybe that's just me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook