Can You Turn Your BBQ Into a Flat-Top Grill?

In summary: Shouldn't be too much of a problem. Hit the plate with a wash of muriatic acid, then scrub it with Dawn or some other heavy detergent and rinse. Put the plate on the grill and heat the crap out of it to burn off other impurities. It ought to be ready to use. After burning off the plate, I would coat it with cooking oil and sea-salt and re-heat it, but maybe that's just me.In summary, a flat top grill can be attached to a regular bbq grill and will allow you to cook food in front of the grill. It is stable, but may require some cleaning before use.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
I was at this japanese tepenaki places or however you spell it where they make the food in front of you and my dad had an interesting though. The stations they have have these big flat cooking areas powered underneath by what I assume were a bunch of gas burners.

We bought a new bbq and my dad wondered whether or not there exists something that would kind of turn your bbq into one of those stations! It would be a large, flat, metal surface that could hook onto your actual bbq grill. The concept seems ridiculously simple. The grills are just called "Flat-top" grills, but they all seem to be self-contained units from what I've noticed. Does anyone know of one that you can just add onto your own bbq grill? :O

Here's the link if you're wondering http://www.cook-n-dine-usa.com/GALL...eppanyaki_grill_cooktop_MO-80_Ki-CDS120-L.jpg

DISCUSS!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, you can buy a flat top. The evo child had a huge all-clad cast iron flat grill that she LEFT at an apartment she moved out of and to this day I still agonize over it's loss.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005AL8X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

you can probably find what you want at a BBQ specialty store.

Last edited by a moderator:
Google "cast iron griddle". You'll get things like this:

41CHoPbptEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Would it be stable when put on a bbq pit though? I mean, beyond the stability due to it's ginormous weight?

Pengwuino said:
Would it be stable when put on a bbq pit though? I mean, beyond the stability due to it's ginormous weight?
Yes, as long as you put the flat griddle on a decent grill. Obviously, it's not going to be a good idea to try to balance a cast-iron griddle on a little Weber Smokey Joe, but it will work perfectly on something like this, fired by gas, wood, charcoal...

chargriller.jpg

I have used big cast iron griddles on just about every kind of cooking fire you can imagine. They are great, and you never really wash them, which is always a plus in my book.

hypatia said:
They are great, and you never really wash them, which is always a plus in my book.

"Mmm, what is this? It tastes like chicken... and peppers... and salmon... and eggs and barbecue sauce, and onions, and mushrooms, and carbon, and steak, and..."

FlexGunship said:
"Mmm, what is this? It tastes like chicken... and peppers... and salmon... and eggs and barbecue sauce, and onions, and mushrooms, and carbon, and steak, and..."

:rofl:

Pengwuino said:
We bought a new bbq and my dad wondered whether or not there exists something that would kind of turn your bbq into one of those stations! It would be a large, flat, metal surface that could hook onto your actual bbq grill.[/quite]

I'm thinking "manhole cover," but there's got to be a more sanitary option.

I'm thinking "manhole cover," but there's got to be a more sanitary option.

I like it. I like ideas that are 1) cheap and 2) involve me stealing from government agencies.

How about a scrap piece of stainless plate? There are often new material "drops" for sale. Drops are the left over pieces from a larger sheared order. You might also try the local scrap metal yard for used material. For food, however, used material might be a little risky.

montoyas7940 said:
How about a scrap piece of stainless plate? There are often new material "drops" for sale. Drops are the left over pieces from a larger sheared order. You might also try the local scrap metal yard for used material. For food, however, used material might be a little risky.
Shouldn't be too much of a problem. Hit the plate with a wash of muriatic acid, then scrub it with Dawn or some other heavy detergent and rinse. Put the plate on the grill and heat the crap out of it to burn off other impurities. It ought to be ready to use. After burning off the plate, I would coat it with cooking oil and sea-salt and re-heat it, but maybe that's just me.

What are the best metal surfaces to use for bbq grills?

The best metal surfaces for bbq grills are stainless steel, cast iron, and porcelain coated steel. These materials are durable, heat-resistant, and easy to clean.

What is the difference between stainless steel and cast iron for bbq grills?

Stainless steel is a lightweight and rust-resistant material that heats up quickly and evenly. Cast iron, on the other hand, is heavier and takes longer to heat up, but it retains heat well and creates a nice sear on meats.

Can I use aluminum foil on my bbq grill?

Yes, you can use aluminum foil on your bbq grill. It can be used as a liner or to wrap food for cooking. However, be careful not to cover the entire grill with foil as it can restrict airflow and affect the cooking process.

How do I clean metal surfaces on my bbq grill?

To clean metal surfaces on your bbq grill, start by brushing off any excess food or debris. Then, use a grill cleaner or a mixture of warm water and mild detergent to scrub away any remaining residue. Rinse with water and dry with a clean cloth.

Are there any safety precautions I should take when using metal surfaces on bbq grills?

Yes, it is important to handle hot metal surfaces with caution and use proper grilling tools to avoid burns. Also, make sure to clean and maintain your grill regularly to prevent any potential hazards.

Back