Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metal Workshop?

1. Jan 7, 2015 #1
    Hello. I just want to know if you guys know a website, place, or store where you can use their apparatus and work on a stainless steel plate? Right now I'm planning to create a Hydrogen generator using water with catalyst. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2015 #2
    Where are you located? Tech Shop has a few facilities scattered around the States. For a monthly or yearly free you can use the equipment, think you may need to take their class on a particular machine before they let you operate it.

4. Jan 7, 2015 #3
    I'm located at CA San Jose. I've heard of them. Do you know their website or so? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2015
  5. Jan 7, 2015 #4

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

TechShop.ws in San Jose, Ca.

6. Jan 7, 2015 #5
    thank you so much...

7. Jan 7, 2015 #6

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Rose Garden District, Hedding Street, through elementary school I planted the tallest tree on Hedding Street.

8. Jan 7, 2015 #7
    I'm also in SJ. I took a few machine shop classes at De Anza for my projects. Might be less expensive than Tech Shop?

Ouch: Bit of egg on my face. Just realized what forum this was posted too and what you may be trying to do. Ignore me.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  9. Jan 7, 2015 #8
    Great though :D .Btw i'm planning to make a Hydrogen generator that's why I need to work on meta works. Is there some hardware shops around Sj that could help out though?

10. Jan 7, 2015 #9

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Okay, these last 2 posts are weird. @RNickl -- say which what?

@deuel18 -- I thought that you were going to use the TechShop in SJ. What's up?

11. Jan 7, 2015 #10
    Its not that expensive to make a hydrogen generator. The only problem is the proper shape and size of the stainless steel plate. Thats all.

12. Jan 7, 2015 #11

berkeman

Or just use glassware, right? What volume of H2 do you want to make per day?

13. Jan 7, 2015 #12
    Considering a car engine, maybe about 2.8 liters in less than a minute (rough estimate). And glassware can't do the job. The container can be glassware but the Stainless Steel Plate will act as the Hydrogen Fuel Cell generator while submerged in water.

14. Jan 7, 2015 #13

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Four hundred amps?!! You might want to rethink your time frame.

15. Jan 7, 2015 #14
    Is that how it works? I believe it depends on the configuration of the generator like the surface area of the plate, its size, how good the catalyst is, and so on...although I'm still in conceptual procedure. Everything is acceptable.

16. Jan 7, 2015 #15

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It depends upon how many electrons you have to pass to hydrolyze 0.1 to 0.15 mol water in a minute or a little less.

17. Jan 7, 2015 #16

berkeman

Stainless steel as a catalyst? I'm no chemist, but that sounds like an oxymoron...

18. Jan 7, 2015 #17
    I didnt meant to say the stainless steel as catalyst. The catalyst I'm talking about could be like anything that would make the water very conductive. Like Baking Soda or Salt or something else. But that's not hard to do once the setup is laid out.
    Thats the part I need to know. I passed my Chemistry but I kinda forgot those calculations. I need to restudy those.

19. Jan 7, 2015 #18

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

A very "exciting" and effective one for some reactions that shall remain unidentified. Works for electrolysis. Lousy as a fuel cell electrode.

20. Jan 8, 2015 #19
    The ones I've seen on you tube use stainless washers a s stainless is very hard to machine.

21. Jan 8, 2015 #20
    these are small ones. But you can use stainless steel plate to produce more.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook