Build a Hydrogen Generator with Stainless Steel Plates

In summary, Rose Garden District, Hedding Street, through elementary school I planted the tallest tree on Hedding Street. I'm also in SJ. I took a few machine shop classes at De Anza for my projects. Might be less expensive than Tech Shop?
deuel18
Hello. I just want to know if you guys know a website, place, or store where you can use their apparatus and work on a stainless steel plate? Right now I'm planning to create a Hydrogen generator using water with catalyst. Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Where are you located? Tech Shop has a few facilities scattered around the States. For a monthly or yearly free you can use the equipment, think you may need to take their class on a particular machine before they let you operate it.

I'm located at CA San Jose. I've heard of them. Do you know their website or so? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
TechShop.ws in San Jose, Ca.

thank you so much...

Rose Garden District, Hedding Street, through elementary school I planted the tallest tree on Hedding Street.

I'm also in SJ. I took a few machine shop classes at De Anza for my projects. Might be less expensive than Tech Shop?

Ouch: Bit of egg on my face. Just realized what forum this was posted too and what you may be trying to do. Ignore me.

Last edited:
Great though :D .Btw I'm planning to make a Hydrogen generator that's why I need to work on meta works. Is there some hardware shops around Sj that could help out though?

RNickl said:
Ouch: Bit of egg on my face. Just realized what forum this was posted too and what you may be trying to do. You need a much better grasp on this subject before you waste money, or even bother to design, your generator.

deuel18 said:
Great though :D .Btw I'm planning to make a Hydrogen generator that's why I need to work on meta works. Is there some hardware shops around Sj that could help out though?

Okay, these last 2 posts are weird. @RNickl -- say which what?

@deuel18 -- I thought that you were going to use the TechShop in SJ. What's up?

Its not that expensive to make a hydrogen generator. The only problem is the proper shape and size of the stainless steel plate. Thats all.

Or just use glassware, right? What volume of H2 do you want to make per day?

Considering a car engine, maybe about 2.8 liters in less than a minute (rough estimate). And glassware can't do the job. The container can be glassware but the Stainless Steel Plate will act as the Hydrogen Fuel Cell generator while submerged in water.

deuel18 said:
2.8 liters in less than a minute
Four hundred amps?! You might want to rethink your time frame.

Is that how it works? I believe it depends on the configuration of the generator like the surface area of the plate, its size, how good the catalyst is, and so on...although I'm still in conceptual procedure. Everything is acceptable.

deuel18 said:
I believe it depends on the configuration of the generator like the surface area of the plate, its size, how good the catalyst is,
It depends upon how many electrons you have to pass to hydrolyze 0.1 to 0.15 mol water in a minute or a little less.

deuel18 said:
Its not that expensive to make a hydrogen generator. The only problem is the proper shape and size of the stainless steel plate. Thats all.

deuel18 said:
Stainless Steel Plate will act as the Hydrogen Fuel Cell generator while submerged in water.

Stainless steel as a catalyst? I'm no chemist, but that sounds like an oxymoron...

berkeman said:
Stainless steel as a catalyst? I'm no chemist, but that sounds like an oxymoron...

I didnt meant to say the stainless steel as catalyst. The catalyst I'm talking about could be like anything that would make the water very conductive. Like Baking Soda or Salt or something else. But that's not hard to do once the setup is laid out.
Bystander said:
It depends upon how many electrons you have to pass to hydrolyze 0.1 to 0.15 mol water in a minute or a little less.

Thats the part I need to know. I passed my Chemistry but I kinda forgot those calculations. I need to restudy those.

berkeman said:
Stainless steel as a catalyst?
A very "exciting" and effective one for some reactions that shall remain unidentified. Works for electrolysis. Lousy as a fuel cell electrode.

Likes berkeman
The ones I've seen on you tube use stainless washers a s stainless is very hard to machine.

these are small ones. But you can use stainless steel plate to produce more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been near electrolytic oxygen/hydrogen generators, though never responsible for their operation or maintenance. Submarine sailors become inured to lots of the alarms on their ships, like salinity alarms and temperature alarms. But not the oxygen generator alarm or the anti-submarine alarms.

The O2 generator was nicknamed The Bomb for the potentially hazardous effects of 3000 psi gasses and high electrical currents. My particular vessel carried five-thousand chlorate candles. Once a danger tag was violated and they were wetted with seawater and each one had to be rinsed and dried and restowed, it took about a week.

Doug Huffman said:
I have been near electrolytic oxygen/hydrogen generators, though never responsible for their operation or maintenance. Submarine sailors become inured to lots of the alarms on their ships, like salinity alarms and temperature alarms. But not the oxygen generator alarm or the anti-submarine alarms.

The O2 generator was nicknamed The Bomb for the potentially hazardous effects of 3000 psi gasses and high electrical currents. My particular vessel carried five-thousand chlorate candles. Once a danger tag was violated and they were wetted with seawater and each one had to be rinsed and dried and restowed, it took about a week.

Interesting. What happens to the H2 after the electrolysis? Is it dumped back to the seawater?

deuel18 said:
Interesting. What happens to the H2 after the electrolysis? Is it dumped back to the seawater?
Yes, just so. The H2 discharge is to an auxiliary cooling seawater, though notably the actual piping penetration is IIRC after the ASW hull and backup valves for the corrosive effects of HCl - the gaseous discharge had its own hull and backup valves.

There is also a high temperature catalyst burner intended to burn atmospheric CO and H2 (as from the huge Pb-acid battery) to CO2 and H2O.

deuel18 said:
Considering a car engine, maybe about 2.8 liters in less than a minute (rough estimate). And glassware can't do the job. The container can be glassware but the Stainless Steel Plate will act as the Hydrogen Fuel Cell generator while submerged in water.

Why do you want to make Hydrogen for your car? Do you have a cheap source of electrical power that you are trying to find uses for?

When hydrogen is added to the mix you get more complete combustion. The emission tests show a cleaner burn. Hot rodders love it.

Hydrogen seems to enhance combustion , keep the engine cleaner (oil lasts longer) and reduce emissions.

Hydrogen is cheap. Buy a bottle and test it for yourself. Be careful though...

EDIT: Anyone want to go in on buying/opening a techshop. What a good idea!

Thank you very much. I have another question. Since I need a conductive metal submerged on the water (for the electrolysis), what kind of metal would be suitable? I say, it should be non-corrosive for lifetime (hopefully). They say one candidate would be platinum, but I heard also that it is ban to the public as it is an ingredient for nuclear warheads of some sorts. Any suggestion?

Doug Huffman said:
Yes, just so. The H2 discharge is to an auxiliary cooling seawater, though notably the actual piping penetration is IIRC after the ASW hull and backup valves for the corrosive effects of HCl - the gaseous discharge had its own hull and backup valves.

There is also a high temperature catalyst burner intended to burn atmospheric CO and H2 (as from the huge Pb-acid battery) to CO2 and H2O.

So can I separate the decomposed Hydrogen (+) by guiding it with a wire with a negative current while the decomposed Oxygen (-) by guiding it with a wire running with a positive current? Sorry if I make bad terminology here. Hope you get what I meant.

Most systems use metal washers , they are cheap and easily replaced
Have you considered injecting the hydrogen via the smog pump?

psycho rich said:
Most systems use metal washers , they are cheap and easily replaced
Have you considered injecting the hydrogen via the smog pump?

I see. Metal plates provides greater surface area of electrolysis. That's why I'm determined to use steel plates. And I'm not sure. To be honest, I'm still on the process of learning about cars.

1. What is a hydrogen generator and how does it work?

A hydrogen generator is a device that uses an electrolysis process to produce hydrogen gas from water. This gas can then be used as a fuel source in various applications. The generator works by passing an electric current through water, splitting it into hydrogen and oxygen molecules.

2. Why use stainless steel plates in a hydrogen generator?

Stainless steel plates are used in a hydrogen generator because they are highly resistant to corrosion and can withstand the harsh conditions of the electrolysis process. This ensures the longevity and efficiency of the generator.

3. Can I build a hydrogen generator with other types of metal plates?

Yes, you can use other types of metal plates such as copper or nickel, but stainless steel is the most commonly used due to its durability and resistance to corrosion.

4. Is it safe to build and use a hydrogen generator at home?

Building and using a hydrogen generator at home can be safe if proper precautions are taken. It is important to follow instructions carefully and use appropriate safety gear, as hydrogen gas is highly flammable. It is also recommended to have a professional inspect the generator before use.

5. What are the benefits of using a hydrogen generator?

Using a hydrogen generator can have several benefits, including reducing carbon emissions, providing a renewable and sustainable fuel source, and potentially saving money on energy costs. Additionally, the byproduct of the electrolysis process is oxygen, which can be used for other purposes.