Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metal ?

1. May 17, 2008 #1
    Metal Bands! Which ones are youre favorites? I envy those of you who lived through the 80's listening to stuff like AC DC, Maiden, Led Zep, GnR. Music was HUGE then! I mean, the money's still there, but rockstars were Gods man! I dont think there's anyone in music today who's as big or iconic as the rock bands of yore.

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2008 #2

wolram

Gold Member

How true, the fabricated pop idols of today do not usually last long ,unless they are a Madona or Kylie with some thing to show to get the fans going.

4. May 17, 2008 #3

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I'm quite partial to Machine Head, and maybe a bit of The Haunted, but I'm musically starting to drift away from that sort of stuff. Certainly can't go wrong with a bit of Metallica every now and then though.

5. May 17, 2008 #4

Mk

I like Van Halen and Rammstein.

6. May 17, 2008 #5
    Ha, 80s music sucked! I like early metal (like aforementioned, Led Zep, which really isn't and like Black Sabbath and such) and some modern stuff. Apocalyptica is badass, and they played in ABQ on wednesday and I didn't find out till it was way too late...wah! (not the pedal, the sound, LOL)

7. May 18, 2008 #6
    Let me add Megadeth, Dethklok (of the adult swim tv show, Metalocalypse), and others that I've forgotten.

8. May 18, 2008 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My favorite metal band? My wedding ring :tongue2: .

9. May 18, 2008 #8
    I'm seeing Iron Maiden on May 26th :-D

10. May 22, 2008 #9
    Thats amazing man! They came to Bombay, but I couldnt go. Had exams those days... !!!

11. May 22, 2008 #10

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I caught Maiden and Leeds Festival '05. I'm not a massive fan, but damn do those guys put on a good show! I loved every minute of it.

12. May 22, 2008 #11
    I was never really that into metal but I like Black Sabbath, Megadeth, and older Metallica.
    The only metal band that I listen to much currently as a Canadian band called Darkest of the Hillside Thickets that preforms primarily HP Lovecraft inspired songs. They're a sort of mix of metal, goth rock, and punk.
    One of their songs...
    Colour Me Green

13. May 22, 2008 #12
    Van Halen, GnR, Led Zeppelin, and AC/DC are NOT metal, they are Rock and Roll. Get that straight.

My favorite bands are:

Death
    Black Sabbath
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Manowar
    Megadeth
    Metallica
    Metal Church
    Slayer
    Arch Enemy
    Carcass
    Asphyx
    Cynic
    Atheist

What's the difference? Well, here's Van Halen:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=8e-vgQSqNtA

And here's Slayer:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=F8kQ3MKMeDc

Here is AC/DC:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bomv-6CJSfM

And here is Judas Priest:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=60Iv_kAjMLk

Notice a difference?

14. May 22, 2008 #13
    Might make it to OzzFest this year with some friends...Let me add System Of a Down. Our podunk town is actually getting some good stuff, like Saliva (not metal), Otep (metal) and even Scott Ian of Anthrax, apparently he just came on his own, with back up musicians...All the shows are 18+ though...

15. May 22, 2008 #14

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's almost funny.
    I never considered Van Halen, GnR and AC/DC anything other than rock.

However, Led Zeppelin and Iron Butterfly created the term Heavy Metal. :grumpy:

I'm somewhat surprised to see Black Sabbath still on your metal list with the dissing of Led Zeppelin.
    Metallica, despite the name, I kinda consider an early rap export rather than metal.
    I'm good with the rest of your list. :approve:

16. May 22, 2008 #15
    No led zep didn't, they have friggin mandolins even...Black Sabbath did create the term, along with Judas Priest

17. May 22, 2008 #16
    I used to listen to a lot of Metallica, but it's funny how I sort of grew out of it.

I find Rammstein's music to be of far more substance. Seems lately I don't really listen to anything else.

18. May 22, 2008 #17
    The term originated with Zeppelin, but it was premature. What's the most metal song Zep has? Kashmir? Immigrant Song?

Now look at the very first song of the very first album of Black Sabbath:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1yntdJ1kDI4

That is the DEFINITION of metal. Not even Judas Priest or Iron Maiden (both of which I love more than Sabbath actually) started out like that.

19. May 23, 2008 #18
    I'm a huge metalhead... specifically death metal. Some of my favorite death metal bands are Bolt Thrower, Decapitated, Bloodbath, Necrophagist, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, Nile, and Hypocrisy.

I like other metal too of course. Slayer, Electric Wizard, Iron Maiden, Bathory, and Led Zeppelin just to name a few.

I went to Paganfest last week; it was pretty good. Turisas instantly became one of my favoritest concert bands ever.

20. May 23, 2008 #19
    They predate it, but there is plenty of metal nowadays that includes mandolins (viking metal).

21. May 23, 2008 #20

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't know about the premature
    In the late 60s Heavy Metal meant Led Zeppelin or Iron Butterfly, a bit of word play and initially referred more to the Lead and Iron in the titles more than the music.
    The term already existed when Black Sabbath came along.
    Things change and the term expanded to include other radical music like Black Sabbath somewhat after they came out.

Mandolins or not Led Zeppelin was radical for the time.
    You might want to consider
    Only few years earlier the Beatles "I want to hold your hand" was not allowed to be played at my high school.
    The local underground FM station made the front page of the newspaper when they played Pink Floyd on the air the first time, in 68 I think, but I'd had the album for at least 3 years prior.

Here is a group for you. Sorry about the ad you'll get first.
    http://music.aol.com/video/liarsenic/norma-jean/1476416

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?