What are the latest metallic superconductors discovered in the past decade?

In summary: Crystalline bismuth nanowires have been shown to be superconducting with critical temperatures near 300mK. Earlier granular wires have been shown to superconduct with Tc ~ 7K.
ralden
Hi Guys, Please give me an example or list of Metallic superconductors (new metallic superconductors (year 2010-2014). thanks :).

Physics news on Phys.org
ralden said:
Hi Guys, Please give me an example or list of Metallic superconductors (new metallic superconductors (year 2010-2014). thanks :).

As with all questions of this sort, you will get better and more helpful answers if you first research the topic yourself - Google makes it really easy! - and then come back with more specific questions about the parts that you need help with.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/very-little-excuse-to-ask-a-question-cold.765735/

Also, I am not sure the question is well defined.
Do you mean examples of alloys/compounds that have recently been shown to superconduct, and are metallic in their normal state?

The question could also be read which metallic elements that have recently been shown to be superconducting, and the answer to that question is none. There aren't that many metals in the periodic system and they were all investigated a long time ago: we pretty much known that the vast majority of them become superconductors under the right circumstances (low enough temperature and in many cases high enough pressure).

Thank you Nugatory for reminding that guidelines to me, by the way, f95toli I'm actually confused about "metallic superconductors", also about the types of superconductors: type 1 and type 2, I'm pretty sure that type 2 supercon are the ceramics type (but not all, some are metals), so please enlighten me about metallics superconductors,(are they the one with lower critical temp?, metallic bond? etc.) thank you very much.

ralden said:
Thank you Nugatory for reminding that guidelines to me, by the way, f95toli I'm actually confused about "metallic superconductors", also about the types of superconductors: type 1 and type 2, I'm pretty sure that type 2 supercon are the ceramics type (but not all, some are metals), so please enlighten me about metallics superconductors,(are they the one with lower critical temp?, metallic bond? etc.) thank you very much.

You never answered the question put forward to you in your definition of "metallic". Please note that these questions are often asked when your original question and premise are confusing.

So what exactly do you mean by "metallic" superconductors? Do you mean that they are a metal in the normal state and has a metallic behavior (i.e. increasing resistivity with increasing temperature)?

This is a "periodic table" of superconductors. There are many elements here that are "metallic" and also a superconductor.

http://physics.wustl.edu/~jss/NewPeriodicTable.pdf

Is this what you are looking for? And your generalization about Type I and Type II is faulty. There are plenty of "metallic" superconductors that are Type II.

Zz.

Some super conductors:
mercury at -4.2C
silver iodide at -7.25C
niobium at -9.2C

Monika Sundar said:
Some super conductors:
mercury at -4.2C
silver iodide at -7.25C
niobium at -9.2C

These numbers are all wrong. They should not be "minus" Celsius, but rather in positive Kelvin.

Besides, these are not "new". Read what the op is asking for.

Zz.

Crystalline bismuth nanowires have been shown to be superconducting with critical temperatures near 300mK. Earlier granular wires have been shown to superconduct with Tc ~ 7K.
Bismuth is a known semi-metal in bulk.

1. What are metallic superconductors?

Metallic superconductors are materials that can conduct electricity with zero resistance when cooled below a certain temperature, called the superconducting transition temperature. They are typically made of metals or metal alloys and are characterized by their ability to expel magnetic fields, known as the Meissner effect.

2. How do metallic superconductors work?

Metallic superconductors work by forming Cooper pairs, which are pairs of electrons that interact with each other in a way that allows them to move through the material without resistance. This phenomenon is known as superconductivity and is caused by the lattice vibrations of the material.

3. What are the applications of metallic superconductors?

Metallic superconductors have a wide range of applications, including in MRI machines, particle accelerators, and high-speed trains. They are also used in sensitive electronic devices, such as quantum computers and sensors, due to their ability to carry electrical currents without any energy loss.

4. What are the challenges in using metallic superconductors?

One of the main challenges in using metallic superconductors is the need for extremely low temperatures in order to maintain their superconducting state. This requires expensive and complex cooling systems. Another challenge is the brittleness of some metallic superconductors, which makes them difficult to work with and limits their potential applications.

5. Are there any known types of metallic superconductors?

Yes, there are several types of metallic superconductors, including conventional superconductors, such as niobium and lead, and unconventional superconductors, such as high-temperature superconductors and heavy fermion superconductors. Each type has unique properties and applications, and research is ongoing to discover new types of metallic superconductors.