Metallurgical questions about alloying of Sn with Cu/Ag/Au

• Thread starter Archie Medes
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of metals, particularly copper, silver, and gold, when placed in molten tin during soldering. Gold dissolves quickly in molten tin while copper alloys with it, creating a strong bond. The behavior of silver is of interest, but information is limited. Phase diagrams can provide insight into the behavior of these metals in molten tin, as they show the energetically favorable phases for given concentrations and temperatures. The dynamics of this process are governed by thermodynamic phenomena such as activation energies and concentration gradients.
Archie Medes
Hi

My question relates to electronics soldering, where the main metal in the solder is Sn, with small amounts of Ag and/or Cu

If a rod of Cu, Ag, or Au is placed in molten Sn, which of the rods would melt away fastest?

Is there a threshold temperature up to which the solid metals won't melt/alloy? Or do they start alloying as soon as they are placed in the molten Sn?

For solid Cu or Ag, if some of the different metal is already alloyed with the molten tin, how will it change the alloying process?

And most importantly (for my curiosity), why?

Thank you,

Archie

Engineering news on Phys.org
Gold dissolves in molten tin very, very quickly. Once, someone suggested to me to try a regular solder to attach a piece of a gold wire, didn't work, as soon as I touched the wire with the solder, it was all dissolved by the molten tin.
I don't know about silver.
Copper does alloy with tin. This is the basis for tin-based soldering of copper. It creates a region of Sn/Cu alloy and that helps creating a strong bond.

Thank you

I forgot to stress it is the silver I am most interested in, because I can't find information on it either, whereas gold and copper information (anecdotally at least) seems much more available.

Reason I ask is for fashioning custom soldering heads. I want to know how silver behaves compared to copper, and why. I am slowly collecting my own anecdotal data, but I don't have much soldering to do, and I'm curious about the chemistry/physics. Cu,Ag,Au fall under the same column in the periodic table, with Sn being on the middle row with silver, and something about silver requiring more energy to free electrons, but that is about all I've got.

Here is an article, phase diagrams of tin with various metals including Cu, Ag, Au. It appears that tin-silver diagram is very similar to tin-copper. Gold is much different.
http://iweb.tms.org/PbF/JOM-0212-45.pdf

Likes Archie Medes
Thank you :)

If a rod of Cu, Ag, or Au is placed in molten Sn, which of the rods would melt away fastest?
-whichever has the lowest melting temp for a given composition

Is there a threshold temperature up to which the solid metals won't melt/alloy? Or do they start alloying as soon as they are placed in the molten Sn?
-they will melt at the melting temp and dissolve according to phase diagrams. diffusion can be calculated using ficks laws.

For solid Cu or Ag, if some of the different metal is already alloyed with the molten tin, how will it change the alloying process?
-the phases will depend on the phase diagram for the given concentrations.

And most importantly (for my curiosity), why?
-phase diagrams can be derived by evaluating gibb's free energy for given concentrations and temperatures, and finding the phase energetically favorable for the state of the system. the dynamics governed by ficks are related to activation energies (thermal drivers), concentration gradients (chemical potential) and other thermodynamic phenomena.

Likes Archie Medes

1. What is the purpose of alloying Sn with Cu/Ag/Au?

The purpose of alloying Sn with Cu, Ag, or Au is to improve the mechanical properties of pure Sn, such as strength and hardness, as well as to enhance its resistance to corrosion.

2. How does the addition of Cu/Ag/Au affect the properties of Sn?

The addition of Cu, Ag, or Au can improve the strength, hardness, and ductility of Sn, while also increasing its resistance to corrosion. The exact effect depends on the type and amount of alloying element added.

3. What are the common methods of alloying Sn with Cu/Ag/Au?

The common methods of alloying Sn with Cu, Ag, or Au include melting and mixing the elements together, powder metallurgy, and electroplating. Each method has its own advantages and is chosen based on the desired properties of the alloy.

4. What are the potential applications of Sn-Cu/Ag/Au alloys?

Sn-Cu/Ag/Au alloys have a wide range of applications in industries such as electronics, automotive, and aerospace. They are commonly used for soldering and brazing, as well as in the production of electrical contacts, bearings, and various components that require high strength and corrosion resistance.

5. What are the challenges in alloying Sn with Cu/Ag/Au?

Some challenges in alloying Sn with Cu, Ag, or Au include achieving a uniform distribution of the alloying elements, minimizing the formation of brittle intermetallic compounds, and controlling the cost and availability of the alloying elements. Additionally, the desired properties of the alloy must be balanced with its potential negative effects, such as increased melting point or reduced electrical conductivity.