Metallurgy, slip planes, shock theory

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for an explanation for a chapter in a book they are writing on auto body panels. They are seeking help and have found a potential resource for information on slip planes and deformation.
392hemi
I read in an old metal working book that when a auto body panel is struck sharply with a hammer that for a microsecond or nanosecond there is a vibration or "shock waves" that allows the grains of metal to slip past one another and re-arrange slight. I am desperately looking for an explanation for a chapter in a book I'm writing.

Can anyone in this forum help? Or does anyone have a suggestion where to find help?

Thanks,

Terry Cowan

Physics news on Phys.org
The college course title is "Materials Science." A google search will turn up a bunch of sites, but real quick I found http://www.mae.cornell.edu/zabaras/Courses/MAE212/MAE212.html#lectures one. Lecture 13 discusses slip planes and deformation.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is metallurgy?

Metallurgy is the study of the physical and chemical properties of metals and their alloys. It involves understanding the processes of extracting, refining, and shaping metals to create useful materials.

2. What are slip planes in metallurgy?

Slip planes are specific planes of atoms within a crystalline metal structure that allow for the movement of dislocations. Dislocations are tiny defects in the crystal structure that allow metals to deform without breaking under stress.

3. How does slip occur in metallurgy?

Slip occurs when dislocations move along slip planes in response to an applied stress. This allows the metal to deform without breaking, making it more ductile and able to withstand greater forces.

4. What is shock theory in metallurgy?

Shock theory is a branch of metallurgy that studies the behavior of metals under extreme conditions, such as high pressure and high strain rates. It helps us understand how metals respond to explosive or impact loading, which has practical applications in industries like defense and aerospace.

5. How is shock theory applied in metallurgy?

Shock theory is applied in metallurgy to better understand the behavior of metals under extreme conditions and to develop materials that can withstand these conditions. It also helps in designing structures and components that can withstand high forces and impacts, making them safer and more efficient.