Do you guys believe in metaphysics?

• Thread starter KaneOris
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metaphysics
In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of metaphysics and whether it is possible to believe in both science and the spiritual world. The participants have varying views, with some believing in the existence of a higher power and others rejecting the idea of luck. They also touch on the limitations of the scientific method and the need for a metaphysical approach to understanding certain concepts.
KaneOris

Physics news on Phys.org
KaneOris said:

What do you mean by metaphysics? There's a technical meaning and a popular meaning, and they don't intersect much.

An underlying philosophical or theoretical principle: a belief in luck, the metaphysic of the gambler

Belief in God is metaphysics. Belief in the existence of an outside world is metaphysics. The list goes on. Are you asking if posters here hold any metaphysical beliefs at all?

Yes, I am asking you guys, as you are obviously believers in science if you also believe in, god, spirits, and luck...etc
I find it very hard to believe those things exist with my views on science.
I think that by a "law" the idea of chance is abolished. Well a little more than just the idea of laws in the universe, but basically that.
I don't believe in god, but that's just a personal view, although partially because of my views of science.
The idea of Luck just doesn't register to be possible. Even people making decisions that you might consider lucky, really arent, they are just the conciquence of other things.
Basically i just want to know if you guys can believe in both science and the spiritual world.

Because of the flawed nature of the scientific method, there has to exist some sort of metaphysical, meta-scientific method of proof. Of course, this statement is much too vague, and such a subject requires an entire book's length to be explained clearly.

dekoi said:
Because of the flawed nature of the scientific method, there has to exist some sort of metaphysical, meta-scientific method of proof. Of course, this statement is much too vague, and such a subject requires an entire book's length to be explained clearly.

How is it flawed?

1. What is metaphysics?

Metaphysics is a branch of philosophy that explores the fundamental nature of reality, being, and existence. It deals with abstract concepts such as space, time, causality, and the relationship between mind and matter.

2. Why is metaphysics important?

Metaphysics is important because it helps us understand the nature of reality and our place in the universe. It allows us to question and explore the fundamental concepts and principles that govern our existence.

3. Is metaphysics a science?

No, metaphysics is not a science in the traditional sense. It is a philosophical discipline that deals with abstract concepts and cannot be tested through experimentation or observation. However, metaphysics can overlap with certain scientific fields, such as quantum physics, in its exploration of the nature of reality.

4. Are there different schools of thought in metaphysics?

Yes, there are different schools of thought in metaphysics, including rationalism, empiricism, and idealism. Each school has its own perspective on the nature of reality and the relationship between mind and matter.

5. Can metaphysical concepts be proven?

Metaphysical concepts cannot be proven in the same way that scientific theories can be. However, they can be supported through logical arguments and philosophical reasoning. Ultimately, belief in metaphysical concepts is a matter of personal interpretation and perspective.