1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meteor shower

1. Dec 14, 2007 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just saw a very bright meteor streak across the sky. I thought someone was shooting off fireworks until I remembered this..

http://www.griffithobs.org/skyreport.html

I want to go out and watch some more, but it's cold outside.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2007 #2

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I was just out, saw 3 of them shoot by!

SPECTACULAR! :smile:

4. Dec 14, 2007 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sweet! :cool:
    I never expect to see very much in Los Angeles sky, so the one I saw caught me by surprise.

5. Dec 14, 2007 #4
    I was in Bintan Island in Indonesia with groups of astronomy friends. Saw about 15+ if not 20 meteors. I was lucky enough to see one through a binocular :surprised

6. Dec 15, 2007 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Gosh - that sounds fun!!

I was just reading a little more about the Geminid shower:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22252056/
    What do they mean by a "near-Earth-object" that is not a comet?

7. Dec 15, 2007 #6
    3200 Phaethon is probably a "dead comet" in the sense that it no longer exhibit comet structure like coma or tail.

8. Dec 15, 2007 #7
    Thanks for posting this MIH!!! I just finished a 6 hour drive tonight, and I knew I was seeing something up in the sky (I probably saw about 4 or 5 of them).

9. Dec 15, 2007 #8

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The source is an asteroid or a dormant comet. Asteroids are denser than comets and normally don't break up unless they've collided with something. Phaethon is less dense than an asteroid, but denser than a comet, so the thinking is that it might be a dormant comet that's accumulated a thick crust (an M&M comet :smile:). http://science.nasa.gov/newhome/headlines/ast04dec98_1.htm

And what's wrong with cold weather. I like cold weather. Why, just yesterday morning, I was so moved by the weather that I flung my coffee cup 50yds across the street and broke into the Teaberry Shuffle. And well justified it was, since any day you're not rushed to the hospital with a 12 inch gash in the back of your head is a good day, indeed.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  10. Dec 15, 2007 #9

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Meteors are cool! In 2001, I was in the right place at the right time to see a meteor storm.

Cold??? :confused:

11. Dec 15, 2007 #10
    Glad you got a chance to see one MIH, they are very cool.

12. Dec 16, 2007 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for the explanation about Phaethon. I am glad to hear some others got to see the show.

And yes, by MIH standards, it was very cold! I put on a denim jacket and was still freezing.

13. Dec 17, 2007 #12
    Here's a write-up of my trip. :smile:

14. Dec 17, 2007 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cool! I loved reading about your trip. Thanks for sharing that! :cool:

15. Dec 17, 2007 #14
    That was a wonderful trip you took, what a great spot for a Astro Bash!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?