Twisted Meteor Train - A Sight to Behold

In summary, the conversation discusses a recent photo of a twisted meteor train that was seen in the sky. The participants share their experiences with photographing meteors and how they have never seen one with a wobbling path. One person shares a story of their best meteor sighting and how they attempted to capture it on camera.
meteor
I have seen this recent photo of a twisted meteor train

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap050202.html

As the image shows, the meteor followed an spiral path, I couldn't imagine that such thing was possible. Does somebody here take photos of meteors? Ever photographed a twisting path?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I have never seen one wobble, but of course that might not be evident visually, just in a photo. I was setting up my little 5.5" JSO in a cornfield one night in August about 20 years ago, and was tightening the wingnuts on the tripod braces when I saw a shadow of the tripod legs sweeping around on the ground. I looked up and saw a VERY bright meteor almost overhead. It broke up (like it split into pieces) and then did it again (not so dramatic) and then finally burned out (or at least stopped glowing). I was awe-struck. It was the best meteor I had ever seen. I looked down to continue setting up the 'scope and when I looked up, there was a bright streak in the sky. I thought at first that it was a burn-in on my retina, because the meteor had been so bright, but quickly realized that it was a glowing contrail in the sky where the meteor had passed. Over the next 5-10 minutes, The glowing trail slowly drifted from West to East (along with the prevailing winds in this area) and finally faded from view.

From time to time, when meteor showers were forecast, I would take one of my 35mm cameras with a wide angle lens and locking release, set it on "B" (mirror up, shutter open until you release the shutter button) to try to capture bright meteors streaking across arcing star trails. I didn't have a camera with me that night - it was a quick trip to do an hour or two of observing, and I didn't bother to take one.

1. What is a "Twisted Meteor Train"?

A "Twisted Meteor Train" refers to a phenomenon where a meteor or shooting star appears to leave behind a long trail of light, often with a twisted or spiraling shape. This is caused by the meteor breaking apart and leaving behind ionized gas that is illuminated by the Sun's rays.

2. When and where can I see a "Twisted Meteor Train"?

"Twisted Meteor Trains" are most commonly seen during meteor showers, which occur when the Earth passes through a debris field left behind by a comet or asteroid. The best places to observe these events are areas with minimal light pollution and a clear view of the night sky.

3. How long do "Twisted Meteor Trains" typically last?

The duration of a "Twisted Meteor Train" can vary depending on the size and speed of the meteor, as well as atmospheric conditions. On average, they can last anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes.

4. What causes the twisting or spiraling shape of the meteor train?

The twisting or spiraling shape of a "Twisted Meteor Train" is caused by the meteor breaking apart and leaving behind ionized gas. The motion of the gas can be influenced by Earth's magnetic field, causing the twisting effect.

5. Is there any danger associated with "Twisted Meteor Trains"?

No, "Twisted Meteor Trains" are a completely natural and harmless phenomenon. They are simply a stunning sight to behold in the night sky.