Meteorologists/atmospheric scientists - structure of the study

In summary, the question posed by the forum poster is about the potential advantages and disadvantages of pursuing a graduate degree in meteorology/atmospheric science after completing an undergraduate degree in a related field, such as physics or chemistry. The answer given by a meteorologist who followed this path highlights the importance of hands-on experience and practical application in meteorology, as well as the potential need to bridge the gap between different disciplines. Ultimately, the decision depends on the individual's interests and goals as a scientist.
Steven_Scott
I'm not sure if this is the correct thread, so please accept my apologies if I've posted in the wrong section.

My question is for meteorologists and atmospheric scientists who did their undergraduate degree in different, but related fields, such as physics, chemistry, Earth science, etc. and did their graduate work in meteorology/atmospheric science.

Do you feel that you missed anything by not having an undergraduate degree in meteorology/atmospheric science or did the prerequisites required by your program bring you up to speed well enough?

Likes researcher_josh23
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. As a meteorologist who did my undergraduate degree in physics and then pursued graduate studies in meteorology, I can offer some insight into your question.

In my experience, the prerequisites required for my graduate program did bring me up to speed in terms of the foundational knowledge and skills needed for meteorology. However, I do feel that having an undergraduate degree in meteorology or a related field would have provided me with a deeper understanding of the subject matter and a more well-rounded perspective.

One of the main differences I have noticed is in the level of hands-on experience and practical application of meteorological concepts. While my undergraduate degree provided me with a strong foundation in physics and mathematics, I had to work harder to gain practical experience in meteorology through internships and research opportunities.

Additionally, having a background in a related field like physics or chemistry has its advantages in terms of understanding the underlying physical processes and equations involved in meteorology. However, it may also require some additional effort to bridge the gap between the two disciplines.

Overall, I believe that both routes - pursuing an undergraduate degree in meteorology or a related field and then specializing in meteorology at the graduate level - have their own unique benefits. It ultimately depends on your interests and goals as a scientist. I hope this helps in your decision-making process.
A fellow scientist

1. What is the difference between a meteorologist and an atmospheric scientist?

A meteorologist is a scientist who studies the atmosphere and its weather patterns, while an atmospheric scientist is a broader term that encompasses the study of the entire Earth system, including the atmosphere, hydrosphere, and biosphere.

2. What is the structure of the study for meteorologists and atmospheric scientists?

The study of meteorology and atmospheric science typically involves coursework in physics, chemistry, mathematics, and computer science, as well as specialized courses in atmospheric dynamics, thermodynamics, and meteorological instrumentation.

3. How do meteorologists and atmospheric scientists gather data?

Meteorologists and atmospheric scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to gather data, including weather balloons, satellites, radar, and ground-based instruments. They also use computer models to simulate and predict weather patterns.

4. What are some common career paths for meteorologists and atmospheric scientists?

Some common career paths for meteorologists and atmospheric scientists include working for government agencies, such as the National Weather Service or NASA, as well as private companies, research institutions, and universities.

5. How do meteorologists and atmospheric scientists contribute to society?

Meteorologists and atmospheric scientists play a crucial role in understanding and predicting weather patterns, which is essential for public safety, disaster preparedness, and agriculture. They also contribute to research on climate change and its impacts on the Earth system.