Methane as a fuel source

I appreciate the comments :)

I'd like to explain a bit where I'm coming from. I have an entrepreneurial bent and I am constantly on the lookout for new business ideas. I was thinking of the mad rush to come up with alternative fuel sources when I read about the Sabatier reaction and realized there was potential for an inexpensive way to industrially manufacture a renewable and portable fuel that would require almost no major infrastructure changes for widespread use.

So I'm trying to determine if methane manufacturing is a viable business option. At the present time I would have to be able to manufacture methane at a cost capable of competing with mined natural gas, however as consumer demand rises (and with an appropriate level of advertising and consumer education it will) mined natural gas will have difficulty keeping up with demand and manufacturing will become increasingly economical.

As we've discussed, consumers can already use natural gas as an alternative fuel and http://www.physorg.com/news120134305.html" [Broken] are making it increasingly viable for consumers. All that is needed is a good (but expensive) advertising campaign and consumer education iniative to let people know that this alternative exists and can save them money. As consumers look towards natural gas (methane) as an alternative fuel, manufacturers will focus on producing cars that run on it.

The only downside to converting to methane as a fuel source is how the price of natural gas will skyrocket as demand increases. However, from my end this is good because it means I can make money manufacturing it. The question is - how best do I go about making methane? Biofuel? Sabatier reactors? Dairy farm? I believe a Sabatier reactor will provide the best results in terms of volume, but as we've discussed it has a high energy cost of operation. I don't know if biofuel from waste products can produce enough volume to compete effectively with other sources of methane, although it will likely become an important source of methane as the market moves in that direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes RocketShip