Producing Methane from Sugar - PF Forum

In summary, the conversation is about the process of producing methane from sugar, specifically glucose. The speaker believes it involves reduction and is asking for the specific reaction and the amount of energy produced or absorbed. They have also mentioned googling but not finding the desired information. It is suggested that catalysis or bacteria may be involved in the process.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
Can anyone help me?
I'd like to know what is the reaction that produces methane from sugar?
I believe it's reduction.
This is sugar oxydation:
C6H12O6 + 6O2 -> 6CO2 + 6H2O
What is the reaction to produce methane from glucose?
C6H12O6 + ? -> CH4 + ?
And please if you would be so kind to include how many joules does this reaction produces/absorbs per mol or kg would be fine.
Thank you very much PF Forum, I do appreciate it.
I've googled it but I don't know the keyword to find the reaction.
All Google gives me is methanogenesis.

Thanks again

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm not sure a direct and efficient pathway is likely to exist since sugar has only two Hs per C and methane needs four. Also consider that however sugar is broken up initially, you need to get rid of oxygen atoms. Oxygen atoms tend to hold on tight.

Likes Stephanus
Stephanus said:
Dear PF Forum,
Can anyone help me?
I'd like to know what is the reaction that produces methane from sugar?
I believe it's reduction.
This is sugar oxydation:
C6H12O6 + 6O2 -> 6CO2 + 6H2O
What is the reaction to produce methane from glucose?
C6H12O6 + ? -> CH4 + ?
And please if you would be so kind to include how many joules does this reaction produces/absorbs per mol or kg would be fine.
Thank you very much PF Forum, I do appreciate it.
I've googled it but I don't know the keyword to find the reaction.
All Google gives me is methanogenesis.

Thanks again
May be, you need some sort of catalysis in a form of enzymes or bacteria.
Methane is a by-product of sugar or food decomposition (could be from bacteria or fungus)
May be it will help you, seeing the process of decomposition in organic chemistry.

Last edited:
Likes Stephanus

1. How is methane produced from sugar?

Methane is produced from sugar through a process called anaerobic digestion. In this process, bacteria break down the sugar molecules in the absence of oxygen, producing methane as a byproduct.

2. What types of sugar can be used to produce methane?

Any type of sugar can be used to produce methane, including glucose, fructose, sucrose, and lactose. However, some sugars may produce more methane than others due to their chemical composition.

3. What are the benefits of producing methane from sugar?

Producing methane from sugar has several benefits. It is a renewable energy source that can reduce our reliance on fossil fuels. It also helps to reduce waste by utilizing organic materials, and it produces a clean-burning fuel with fewer emissions compared to traditional sources of energy.

4. What is the efficiency of producing methane from sugar?

The efficiency of producing methane from sugar can vary depending on the type of sugar used and the conditions of the anaerobic digestion process. On average, the efficiency can range from 50-75%, with some studies reporting efficiencies as high as 90%.

5. Are there any potential downsides to producing methane from sugar?

While producing methane from sugar has many benefits, there are also some potential downsides. The production process can be energy-intensive and may require specialized equipment. Additionally, if not managed properly, the production of methane can release harmful greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.