What is the source of methane on Mars?

In summary, NASA has reported evidence of methane in the Martian atmosphere and there are three possible explanations for its presence: trapped pockets in the bedrock being released, geochemical processes driven by heat from the core, and biosynthesis by living bacteria-like organisms. At a meeting, some geologists suggested that the biosynthetic explanation may not be far-fetched due to the low seismic activity and core heat on Mars. However, it is also possible that the methane is a result of "fossil" methane from millions of years ago. The possibility of methane being produced by subterranean microbes or their fossils on Mars is also a potential explanation. However, the presence of methane does not necessarily suggest the presence of life on Mars and further exploration and
jim mcnamara
Mentor
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/mars/news/marsmethane.html

NASA reports evidence of methane in the Martian atmosphere. There are several ways to explain the methane -

Methane trapped in pockets in the bedrock being released

Methane being created at greater depths by geochemical processes, driven by heat from the core

Biosynthesis of methane - ie., living bacteria like organisms.

At the meeting several of the geologists suggested that the biosynthetic explanation may not be too far fetched because the seimic activity and core heat of Mars are minimal.

Biology news on Phys.org
jim mcnamara said:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/mars/news/marsmethane.html

NASA reports evidence of methane in the Martian atmosphere. There are several ways to explain the methane -

Methane trapped in pockets in the bedrock being released

Methane being created at greater depths by geochemical processes, driven by heat from the core

Biosynthesis of methane - ie., living bacteria like organisms.

At the meeting several of the geologists suggested that the biosynthetic explanation may not be too far fetched because the seimic activity and core heat of Mars are minimal.

I remember Titian has its methane rain and frozen methane deserts.

Isn't Titian minimally active as far as core heat and seismic activity go?

Titan has liquid methane because of low temperatures and greatly reduced solar wind compared to Mars. On Mars methane gas exits the atmosphere after a while. Titan is able to hold onto it.

The reducing atmosphere of Titan is it's primary atmosphere, the one from original plantaery (moon-etary?) formation. It's atmosphere is like the one Earth had before the genesis of photosynthetic oxygen. Earth has a secondary atmosphere now.

Anyway, that is why the researchers cannot rule out 'fossil' methane as a source of the gas they are seeing.

jim mcnamara said:
Titan has liquid methane because of low temperatures and greatly reduced solar wind compared to Mars. On Mars methane gas exits the atmosphere after a while. Titan is able to hold onto it.

The reducing atmosphere of Titan is it's primary atmosphere, the one from original plantaery (moon-etary?) formation. It's atmosphere is like the one Earth had before the genesis of photosynthetic oxygen. Earth has a secondary atmosphere now.

Anyway, that is why the researchers cannot rule out 'fossil' methane as a source of the gas they are seeing.

Thank you. Very interesting. Could be Martian cows.

baywax said:
Thank you. Very interesting. Could be Martian cows.

More likely Buggalo. :smile:

I heard about this, the only way to test it is to send a probe and collect some, shouldn't the Carbon in methane contain more C14 than chemically laid down carbon?

The Dagda said:
shouldn't the Carbon in methane contain more C14 than chemically laid down carbon?
C14 is formed from N14 in the Earth's atmosphere - I wouldn't expect very much C14 in Mar's atmosphere.

mgb_phys said:
C14 is formed from N14 in the Earth's atmosphere - I wouldn't expect very much C14 in Mar's atmosphere.

I see so how would we go about determining if a sample was chemically formed or biologically formed?

On mars? no idea!
Any trace of C14 would be interesting - but if it was biologically formed millions of years ago there wouldn't be any C14 anyway (it would have decayed).
You might find He3/He4 istopes mixed in, He4 would suggest it came from underground He3 would imply extraterrestrial (or whaterver is latin for extra-mars?) ie. from comets/meteors

i see no reason why much of the "fossil" fuel on Earth can't be abiogenic. the solar system is full of hydrocarbons.

Proton Soup said:
i see no reason why much of the "fossil" fuel on Earth can't be abiogenic.
Geological opinion would be against you

mgb_phys said:
Geological opinion would be against you

no reason to believe much of the biogenic is fossil-sourced, either. plenty of anaerobes making methane and such.

Proton Soup said:
no reason to believe much of the biogenic is fossil-sourced, either. plenty of anaerobes making methane and such.

Actually there is a significant amount of C14 in fossil fuels that can pretty much only be explained if the matter was once part of a living thing.

Sweet! Perhaps we can lease one of our drilling rigs to NASA so they can do some natural gas exploration! :rofl:

CS

The Dagda said:
Actually there is a significant amount of C14 in fossil fuels that can pretty much only be explained if the matter was once part of a living thing.

sure, and methane is constantly being produced on the seafloor by archaea, but it's not like all that was produced millions of years ago by decaying dinosaurs and ferns, it's a continuous process.

and what percentage of that significance do you think accounts for living things as a source of hydrocarbons?

anyhoo, i can't say i'd be shocked if subterranean microbes or their fossils were discovered on Mars. methane doesn't excite me, though. the methane could be inorganic. wake me up when they find coal.

Proton Soup said:
sure, and methane is constantly being produced on the seafloor by archaea, but it's not like all that was produced millions of years ago by decaying dinosaurs and ferns, it's a continuous process.

and what percentage of that significance do you think accounts for living things as a source of hydrocarbons?

anyhoo, i can't say i'd be shocked if subterranean microbes or their fossils were discovered on Mars. methane doesn't excite me, though. the methane could be inorganic. wake me up when they find coal.

No ones disputing that methane occurs as part of non organic chemistry. But everyone's pretty sure as you intimate, that coal and oil are the result of organic life.

If life on Mars was anything like life on Earth wouldn't there be evidence of it in fossil, dormant spores etc... or actual living organisms all over the planet? I mean, is there one area of Earth that does not have some evidence of life (other than Spuzzum B.C.)?

1. What is the significance of the NASA report on methane on Mars?

The NASA report on methane on Mars is significant because it suggests the possibility of microbial life on the planet. Methane is a gas that is typically produced by living organisms, so its presence on Mars could indicate the presence of life.

2. How was the NASA report on methane on Mars conducted?

The NASA report on methane on Mars was conducted using data from the Curiosity rover, which has been exploring the planet since 2012. The rover has the ability to detect methane levels in the atmosphere and has been collecting data on methane concentrations on Mars.

3. What are the potential sources of methane on Mars?

The potential sources of methane on Mars are still unknown, but there are a few theories. One possibility is that the gas is being released from ancient reservoirs beneath the surface of the planet. Another theory is that the methane is being produced by geological processes, such as the breakdown of organic material. It is also possible that the methane is being produced by microbial life forms.

4. How does the presence of methane on Mars impact the search for life on other planets?

The presence of methane on Mars is significant for the search for life on other planets because it shows that the conditions for life may exist beyond Earth. It also provides a potential target for future exploration and could help scientists better understand the conditions necessary for life to exist.

5. What are the next steps for studying methane on Mars?

The next steps for studying methane on Mars involve further exploration and analysis. NASA plans to send a new rover to Mars in 2020, which will have advanced instruments for studying methane and other gases in the planet's atmosphere. Scientists will also continue to analyze data from the Curiosity rover and other missions to gather more information about the presence of methane on Mars.