Converting Methane to Methanol with Photochemical Reactor

In summary: From what I can tell, visible light can be used to convert methane to methanol using a quartz reactor.
Skylight100
Methane to Methanol

Methane to Methanol 2

Hello everyone. In the link above is a pdf from the Department of Energy detailing how they created methanol our of water using a photochemical reactor.

Im not sure if I am asking the correct people (you people) but I was wondering if you people could help me as Chemistry is not my forte.

I therefore have a few questions Id like to ask...

1. is the tungsten oxide catalyst a static/permanent feature in its capacity as a catalyst inside the reactor or is it a consumable which needs perpetual replenishing? If it is not, is there a method where after the process has finished you can salvage or capture the tungsten catalyst from the solution?

2. is the nitrogen used to cool the UV lamp built within a closed loop as a coolant inside the reactor or is it a consumable which needs perpetual replenishing?

3. The report suggests that visible light is possible over UV lamp to use for methane conversion for practical considerations for quartz reactor construction. Is this correct?

Thanks for any feedback given

Chemistry news on Phys.org
By definition catalyst is not consumed in the reaction. Doesn't mean it lasts forever.

These articles were very useful to me, thanks for posting.

Guy above me is right, catalysts are never consumed by a reaction. But certain phenomena like coking, fouling, or deactivation can make a catalyst unusable and necessitate regeneration or replacement. In this article, it looks like the catalyst is used constantly without being replaced. If deactivation of the catalyst was observed, they should have reported that.

The nitrogen to cool the lamp is probably just a nitrogen stream that they release to the atmosphere because they're in a lab and N2 is cheap. In a commercial process, the cooling medium would probably be in a loop as you suggested. So the N2 must be constantly replenished.

1. What is a photochemical reactor?

A photochemical reactor is a device used to facilitate chemical reactions that are initiated by light. It typically consists of a chamber or vessel with a light source, such as UV lamps or sunlight, and a means of controlling temperature, pressure, and reactant concentrations.

2. How does a photochemical reactor convert methane to methanol?

A photochemical reactor uses photons from the light source to break the bonds between the carbon and hydrogen atoms in methane, which is a greenhouse gas. This creates free radicals, which can then react with oxygen to form methanol.

3. What are the advantages of using a photochemical reactor for this conversion process?

Using a photochemical reactor for converting methane to methanol has several advantages. It is a green and sustainable process, as it uses light as the only energy source and does not produce harmful byproducts. It also has a high efficiency and can be easily scaled up for industrial production.

4. What are the challenges of using a photochemical reactor for this conversion process?

One of the main challenges of using a photochemical reactor for converting methane to methanol is the selectivity of the reaction. The process can also be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the concentration of reactants and catalysts. Additionally, the cost of the equipment and maintenance may be a barrier for smaller-scale applications.

5. Are there any real-world applications of using a photochemical reactor for converting methane to methanol?

Yes, there are currently research and development efforts to use photochemical reactors for converting methane to methanol on an industrial scale. This process could potentially help reduce greenhouse gas emissions and provide a renewable source of energy. However, more studies and advancements are needed before it can be implemented on a large scale.