Safe Methanol Substitute: Finding the Right Chemical

In summary, there is no chemical that reacts with methanol but is also safe to consume. If there is a chance there is methanol in something stay away. Moonshiners almost certainly contain methanol, the question is how much.
Toddy340
Hi
I was wondering if anyone could tell if there is a chemical that reacts the methanol but is also safe to consume in small amounts

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Toddy340 said:
Hi
I was wondering if anyone could tell if there is a chemical that reacts the methanol but is also safe to consume in small amounts
No. And methanol is extremely poisonous! A few ounces are sufficient to become blind and a few more to die! Do you know how they treat a methanol poisoning at the hospital? They make you drunk! They reduce the methanol concentration by a maximal amount of ethanol. So there is no antidote, and dilution is the only chance.

fresh_42 said:
No. And methanol is extremely poisonous! A few ounces are sufficient to become blind and a few more to die! Do you know how they treat a methanol poisoning at the hospital? They make you drunk! They reduce the methanol concentration by a maximal amount of ethanol. So there is no antidote, and dilution is the only chance.
I’m not planning on consuming methanol I’m talking like more testing alchol to see if there is methanol present

Toddy340 said:
I’m not planning on consuming methanol I’m talking like more testing alchol to see if there is methanol present
It looks as if there are some indicators on the market, but I would not rely on them. The two alcohols are far too similar to risk anything. If there is a chance there is methanol in something stay away. Moonshiners almost certainly contain methanol, the question is how much.

Why would it need to be safe for consumption? To test for the presence of some chemical you take a small sample, do some test with it, and discard the sample.
It is always nicer to work with chemicals that are less toxic, but your question makes me wonder what you plan to do (it doesn't sound safe). Sodium dichromate seems to be a chemical frequently used to test for methanol but it is toxic, too.

The typical chemical tests for methanol in presence of ethanol are based on oxidizing the alcohols to respective aldehydes and then testing for formaldehyde in presence of acetaldehyde.
Now as for choice of such oxidant - dichromate is one, but is no better than permanganate. And oxidants that have been used include copper oxide/hot copper wire in air.

Distillation can work, but it’s a pain.

NB—alcohol distillation in the US requires certain permits. Safety and legality should be priorities.

mfb said:
Why would it need to be safe for consumption?
I’m guessing OP has some home-distilled liquor and wants to know 1) if the liquor contains methanol, and 2) if there’s a way to remove or neutralize the methanol to make the liquor drinkable.

Likes Dale
Good responses so far, the the thread needs to be closed temporarily because it is under discussion in the Mentor forums...

I think we can close this thread now.

• Methanol is very poisonous already in tiny dosis.
  • Proof is difficult and involves toxic chemicals.
  • Indicator stripes found on the internet are not reliable.
  • Self made brands very often contain methanol; how much is the critical question.
  • If in doubt, stay away from consumption.

1. What is a safe methanol substitute?

A safe methanol substitute is a chemical that can be used as an alternative to methanol in various industrial processes and applications. It should have similar properties and functions as methanol, but without the potential health and safety risks associated with methanol.

2. Why is it important to find a safe methanol substitute?

Methanol is a highly toxic and flammable chemical that can cause serious health issues and even death if not handled properly. It is also harmful to the environment. Therefore, finding a safe methanol substitute is crucial to ensure the safety of workers, the public, and the environment.

3. What are some examples of safe methanol substitutes?

Some examples of safe methanol substitutes include ethanol, isopropyl alcohol, and glycol ethers. These chemicals have similar properties to methanol and can be used in a variety of applications, such as fuel, solvents, and antifreeze.

4. How do you determine the right chemical to use as a methanol substitute?

The right chemical to use as a methanol substitute will depend on the specific application and the desired properties. Factors to consider include toxicity, flammability, cost, availability, and compatibility with other chemicals. It is important to consult with experts and conduct thorough testing to determine the most suitable substitute.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a safe methanol substitute?

While safe methanol substitutes are less toxic and hazardous than methanol, they may still have some drawbacks. For example, some substitutes may be more expensive or less effective in certain applications. It is important to carefully evaluate the pros and cons of each substitute before making a decision.