1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Method of characteristics to solve the hyperbolic PDE- population balance equation

1. Apr 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The PDE: ∂n/∂t + G∂n/∂L=0

The initial condition: n(0,L)=ns

The boundary condition: n(t,0)=B/G

The parameter B and G above are dependent upon process conditions and change at each time. They can be calculated with adequate experimental data.

2. Relevant equations

I know that the characteristic equations for this PDE are:

∂n/∂s=0 (1)
    ∂L/∂s=G (2)
    ∂t/∂s=1 (3)

Solving the above:

n=n0 (4)
    t=s (5)
    L=Gt+L0 (6)

3. The attempt at a solution

From what I can see, the above equations suggest that along a characteristic curve given by equation (6), the population density, n, at size L0, travels along the size axis with rate of growth, G.

The initial condition, n(0,L)=ns describes the population of particles over a given size range. So the initial data I have is a number of values of population density, n, at a number of sizes.
    Does the solution suggest that each initial value of population density, n corresponding to an initial size, L0 will stay constant along equation (6) and correspond to a different size in the next time step???? I hope I am clear in what im saying here.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted