1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Method of Characteristics

1. Jan 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to solve the following via the method of characteristics.

[tex] \frac{\partial P}{\partial t} + k\omega \frac{\partial P}{\partial\omega} = -\frac12 D\omega^2 P [/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    By the method of characteristics, we assume that [itex] P(\omega, t) [/itex] can be parameterized as [itex] P(\omega(s), t(s) ) [/itex]. Then using the chain rule, we get that

[tex] \frac{dP}{ds} = \frac{\partial P}{\partial t} \frac{ dt}{ds} + \frac{\partial P}{\partial \omega} \frac{ d\omega}{ds} [/tex]

So if we have a PDE of the form

[tex] a(\omega, t)\frac{\partial P}{\partial t} + b(\omega, t) \frac{\partial P}{\partial\omega} = c(\omega, t) [/tex]

we can rewrite this as a system of first order ODEs

[tex] \frac{dt}{ds} = a(\omega, t), \quad \frac{d\omega}{ds} = b(\omega, t), \quad \frac{ dP}{ds} = c(\omega, t) [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I allow [itex] \frac{dt}{ds} = 1, t(0) = 0 [/itex] so that [itex] s=t [/itex]. Next I take [itex] \frac{d\omega}{ds} = k \omega [/itex] so that [itex] \omega(s) = \omega(t) = C_1 e^{kt} [/itex]. Finally, I have [itex] \frac{dP}{ds} = -\frac12 D\omega^2 P [/itex] which implies that

[tex] P(s) = P(t) = C_2 e^{-\frac12 D \omega^2 t} [/tex]

Now I could substitute my value for [itex] \omega(t) [/itex] into here, but it doesn't give me a correct answer. If I leave [itex] \omega [/itex] as a variable, it still doesn't work. So I figured that [itex] \omega [/itex] is actually a function of s and that should be accounted for, so I got [itex] \frac{dP}{ds} = -\frac12 D\omega^2 P = -\frac12 D C_1^2 e^{2ks} P[/itex] which gives me a solution of

[tex] P(s) = -C_2 e^{-\frac{DC_1^2 e^{2ks} }{4k} } [/itex]

But then not only is this not correct, it seems to me that there should also be an [itex] \omega [/itex] dependency somewhere, and I've removed that.

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted