1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Method of characteristics

1. Jul 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[itex] x \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial x} + y \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial y}= -x^2u^2[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

characteristics are given by
    [itex] \frac{ dy}{ dx} = \frac{ y}{ x} [/itex] (a)

[itex] \frac{ du}{ dx} = -\frac{x^2u^2 }{ x} [/itex] (b)

So i integrate both equations

but for (a) do i bring the y across which ends up giving ln(y) = ln(x) + k
    or leave it where it is and i get y = -yln(x) + k

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2011 #2

Homework Helper

Hello, still doing characteristics? Why not write the characteristic equations as:
    You won't be able to write down a complete solution as you have no initial condition to work from. For your equation for characteristics, your first answer was correct, the characteristics are given by [itex]y=kx[/itex] for k constant.
  4. Jul 22, 2011 #3
    To expand on hunt_mat's answer:
    Don't we need to separate the variables before integrating?

1/y dy = 1/x dx

Hmmm, then again you're using partial deriv. notation, which I've only studied Calc. for, not yet Differential Equations.
  5. Jul 29, 2011 #4
    thanks for the replies lads. I guess i never total got to grips with methods of chars.!!!
    I also have initial conditions of u(x,1) = x for -infinity<x<infinity.

y=kx becomes k=y/x

then from (b) we have [itex] \frac{ du}{ dx} = -\frac{x^2u^2 }{ x}[/itex] which when differentiated gives [itex] u = \frac{ 2}{ x^2} + F(k) [/itex]

and transfer in our earlier value of k gives [itex] u = \frac{ 2}{ x^2} + F(\frac{ y}{ x}) [/itex]
    im getting confused now i think in different methods?
  6. Jul 29, 2011 #5

Homework Helper

There are essentially two ways for the method of characteristics (I recognise your name from a number of MOC posts, did I post my notes on the subject?)
    From one of your calculations you have:
    Integrating this equation shows that:
    \frac{1}{u}=\frac{x^{2}}{2}+F(\xi )
    We now paramatrise the initial data, so take [itex](\xi ,1)[/itex] as the point which the characteristic passes through, this will give the initial values as [itex]u(\xi ,1)=\xi[/itex], evaluating the characteristic at this point yields [itex]1=k\xi[/itex], giving a value for k which can then be inserted back into the equation for the characteristic. We now evaluate [itex]u[/itex] at the point [itex](\xi ,1)[/itex] to obtain
    \frac{1}{\xi}=\frac{\xi^{2}}{2}+F(\xi )
    From this you can compute [itex]F(\xi )[/itex] and then from there you can substitute for [itex]\xi[/itex] by using the equation of the characteristic.
    Now to find u you have the solution
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?