1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Method of Characteristics

1. Dec 14, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to solve the following equation using the method of characteristics:

∂u/∂x + (xy)(∂u/∂y) + 2x2zLog[y](∂u/∂z) = 0

I'm really just trying to follow along the solution provided here:
    http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucahhwi/LTCC/sectionA-firstorder.pdf

on page 9.

3. The attempt at a solution

I get that we have to parameterize the dependent variables so x=x(r), y=y(r), z=z(r). Then demand that du/dr=0, from which we get a system of three autonomous equations:

dx/dr = 1; dy/dr = xy; dz/dr = 2x2Log[y].

Then we have to solve these to get the form of u. My trouble is with solving the z equation. According to the handout I linked to above the right hand side of the dz/dr equation becomes:

2x2zLog[y] = -r4zLog[y0], where r=x and y=y0Exp[r^2/2] (these expressions for x and y come from solving the other two equations).

I don't understand how we can make this step. When I plug in for y and x to the left side of the above I come up with y=2zr^2Log[y0] + r^4/2 ...

Can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to get the answer given in the handout?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't see how you get that. Please post your working.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted