1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Method of Closed Interval

1. Oct 28, 2006 #1
    The question I'm currently working on now is to find the absolute maximum and absolute minimum values of f on the given interval.

f(x) = x-2cosx, [-pi, pi]
    f'(x) = 1+2sinx = 0

From here I've found that -30 degrees(-pi/6) and -150(-5pi/6) degrees are the two intercepts in the equation. However I'm just having some trouble figuring out how to solve for this type of question. Any sort of hints would be great, thanks :P

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Inside the open interval (-pi,pi), you can calculate the derivative of f. The zeroes of the derivative are the critical values of f (either a min, a max or a saddle point). Calculate the value of f at each of these points. Also calculate f directly at -pi and pi. Now compare all the values of f you've calculated. The bigger is the absolute max and the smallest is the absolute min.

4. Oct 28, 2006 #3
    Ahhh alrighty that makes sense. So pretty much just find the derivatives of f(-pi/6) and f(-5pi/6) along with f(-pi) and f(pi). Because I'm finding that the derivative of -pi/6 and -5pi/6 are 0 thus they are both critical numbers of f on (-pi,pi).

5. Oct 28, 2006 #4
    Okay boo yeah, I think I figured it out, f(-5pi/6) = -5pi/6 - root3 is the absolute minimum and the absolute maximum is f(pi) = (pi) + 2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?