1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Method of differentials

1. Aug 30, 2006 #1
    I am completly lost on these differentials! Can anyone help me make sense of them? Especially this question in particular:

(Sorry, I don't know how to make that small little circle thing that denotes degree)

I'm supposed to use the method of differentials to estimate it to 4 decimal places.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Show what you've tried. Do you know how to use this method?

By the way, I'd never heard of the "method of differentials" before, and I had to do a google search to figure out what it is. It seems to just be synonomous with "linear approximation", or, if you want a higher order approximation, "taylor series approximation", by which names I think the method is much more well known. Just another reason to always show your work if you want help.
  4. Aug 30, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

45 degrees is [itex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex] radians. 1 degree is [itex]\frac{\pi}{180}[/itex] radians. It's better to use radians because that way the derivative is easier: if x is measured in radians then the derivative of y= cos(x) is y'= -sin(x) and so the differential is dy= -sin(x)dx. y+ dy= cos(x)- sin(x)dx.
    To find [itex]cos(\frac{pi}{4}+ \frac{\pi}{180}[/itex], let [itex]x= \frac{\pi}{4}[/itex] so that [itex]y= cos(\frac{\pi}{4})= \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[/itex], [itex]-sin(x)= -sin(\frac{\pi}{4})= -\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[/itex] and [itex]dx= \frac{\pi}{180}[/itex].
  5. Aug 30, 2006 #4
    Oh Thanks!

Thanks you guys, My text books are a little backwards it seems. Where one asks me to use method of differentials the other teaches linear aproximation, that was so confusing and now I see why. Thanks A bunch!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?