Method of Images- Force on Plane

In summary: So in summary, you can use the method of placing image charges to calculate the force on an infinite conducting plane due to two point charges located at different heights above the plane. This method follows from Newton's 3rd Law and the principle of superposition, where the force on the plane is the negative sum of the forces on the image charges.
NullSpace0

Homework Statement

What is the force on an infinite conducting plane due to two point charges: a +2q located at a height 4h above the plane and a -q charge located at a height 2h above the plane, directly beneath the other point charge.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that due to Newton's 3rd Law, I can just calculate the force on a single charge (due to an image charge symmetrically below the plane) and the negative of this force is the force on the plane. Does this method extend to 2 charges?

Then I would think that I place a -2q charge at -4h, and a +q charge at -2h, and then calculate the two forces on the real charges due to the 3 other charges present... then the opposite of that force is the force ON the plane?

Can you add the forces like that?

Physics news on Phys.org
NullSpace0 said:
Then I would think that I place a -2q charge at -4h, and a +q charge at -2h, and then calculate the two forces on the real charges due to the 3 other charges present... then the opposite of that force is the force ON the plane?

Can you add the forces like that?

Yes, I think that is correct. However, you don't need to include the force of one real charge on the other real charge, just the force of each image charge on each real charge.

1. What is the "Method of Images" in relation to force on a plane?

The "Method of Images" is a mathematical technique used to solve problems involving electric fields or forces on objects. It involves creating imaginary "mirror" charges or objects to simulate the effects of the actual charges or objects in the problem.

2. How is the "Method of Images" used to calculate the force on a plane?

The "Method of Images" is used to calculate the force on a plane by considering the superposition of the forces from the actual charge or object and its corresponding imaginary "image" charge or object. This allows for the calculation of the net force on the plane.

3. Can the "Method of Images" be applied to any type of plane?

Yes, the "Method of Images" can be applied to any type of plane, as long as the problem involves electric fields or forces. This includes flat planes, curved surfaces, and even non-conducting materials such as dielectrics.

4. What are the advantages of using the "Method of Images" to calculate force on a plane?

One advantage of using the "Method of Images" is that it simplifies complex problems involving multiple charges or objects. It also allows for the direct calculation of the force on the plane, rather than having to calculate the electric field and then convert it to force.

5. Are there any limitations to using the "Method of Images" for calculating force on a plane?

One limitation of the "Method of Images" is that it assumes the plane is an ideal conductor with infinite conductivity. In reality, most planes will have some resistance, which may affect the accuracy of the calculated force. Additionally, the method may become more complicated when dealing with non-uniformly charged planes or non-uniformly distributed charges.