Method of Joints: Struggling to Understand?

In summary, the method of joints involves finding the sum of all forces at any joint, which must equal to zero. This means that all members of the structure are two force members and any external forces must act on a joint. The goal is to solve for all unknowns starting from one joint and working towards the desired force. It may be necessary to determine the reaction forces first in order to find a joint to work with.
Satoy
I am struggleing here. Can anyone explain this concept to me? I don't understand how to first find the forces the supports exort and even if I did I don't know I I could proceed. Does anyone know a website that has a non-symetrical triangle that I can re-learn the basics off of. Or if some one on here could explain it to me that would be great.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
never mind I found a website before I even got one view...thanks anyways

The only point to the method of joints is that the sum of all forces at ANY joint MUST equal to zero. In addition, all the memebers of the structure are two force memebers, and any forces that act on the structure MUST act on a JOINT. This makes good practical sense when you think about it too. If a member were NOT a two force memeber, then there would be a torque as well. And since there are no external torques to cancel out this natrual torque, the member would have rotation. So the ONLY force can be a two force, which means the forces are in the direction of the structual members.
When you do the method of joints, you start from whichever joint you can solve for all the unkowns, and then you work your way to the next joint, once you have figured out the forces in some of the members, until you find whatever force you were asked to find. (Sometimes it is necessary to look at the entire structure first to find the reaction forces so that you can first find a joint to work with though!).
I hope that helps.

1. How does the method of joints work?

The method of joints is a technique used to analyze truss structures. It involves breaking down the truss into individual joints and analyzing the forces acting on each joint to determine the internal forces in the truss members.

2. What are the steps for using the method of joints?

The steps for using the method of joints are as follows:
1. Draw the free body diagram of the entire truss.
2. Identify the external forces acting on the truss.
3. Choose a joint to analyze and draw its free body diagram.
4. Apply the equations of equilibrium to solve for the unknown forces at the joint.
5. Move on to the next joint and repeat the process until all the unknown forces in the truss are determined.

3. What are the assumptions made when using the method of joints?

The method of joints makes the following assumptions:
1. The truss is in static equilibrium.
2. The truss members are connected by idealized pinned joints.
3. The weight of the truss members is negligible.
4. The truss is loaded at the joints only.
5. The truss is a planar structure.

4. How accurate is the method of joints?

The method of joints is a relatively accurate method for analyzing truss structures. However, it does have its limitations. It is most accurate when the truss is loaded at the joints and when the truss members are connected by idealized pinned joints. It may not be as accurate for more complex truss structures or when the truss is loaded at points other than the joints.

5. Are there any alternative methods to the method of joints?

Yes, there are other methods for analyzing truss structures, such as the method of sections and the method of tension coefficients. These methods may be more suitable for certain types of truss structures or for different types of loading conditions. It is important to understand and be proficient in multiple methods in order to choose the most appropriate one for a given truss structure.