1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Method of Moments (Beta Dist)

1. Nov 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]X_1,...,X_n [/itex] be iid with pdf [itex]f(x;\theta) = \theta x^{\theta-1} , 0 \le x \le 1 , 0 < \theta < \infty [/itex]

Find an estimator for [itex]\theta[/itex] by method of moments

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know I need to align the first moment of the beta distribution with the first moment of the sample ([itex]\bar{x}[/itex] or [itex]\dfrac{\Sigma_{i=1}^n x_i}{n}[/itex])

The beta distribution has a first moment of [itex]\dfrac{\alpha}{\alpha + \beta}[/itex]

I guess my problem is figuring out what my should be alpha and beta from the given pdf, from there it is simply just [itex]\bar{x}=\dfrac{\alpha}{\alpha + \beta}[/itex] and then solving for [itex]\theta[/itex] Any advice?

I did try to take the expected value of the pdf and set it equal to x bar, but I think that is not the correct answer ( I got something like [itex]\hat{\theta}=\dfrac{\bar{x}}{1-\bar{x}}[/itex] )

I also attempted this using MLE and got something like [itex]\hat{\theta}=\dfrac{-n}{\Sigma_{i=1}^n \ln{x_i}} [/itex] but I would also like to solve this problem with method of moments.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If you represent it as a case of a Beta distribution, you get α=θ, β=1, yes? And that gives you the same result as you obtained directly. What makes you think it is wrong?

4. Nov 19, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the reply.

It just felt wrong to me because it was so far from the MLE estimate, but I know that can happen.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook