Solving Method of Residues Homework Problem

• Thread starter gtfitzpatrick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the Solving Method of Residues is a mathematical technique used to solve complex integrals by finding complex residues and using the Cauchy Residue Theorem. It is used when traditional integration techniques are not applicable and has limitations such as only being applicable to integrals with isolated singularities. Tips for solving homework problems include carefully choosing the contour of integration and practicing finding complex residues and using the Cauchy Residue Theorem.
gtfitzpatrick

Homework Statement

[itex]\int^{0}_{2\pi}[/itex] [itex]\frac{d\theta}{13+5sin\theta}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so i changed it using [itex]sin \theta = \frac{1}{2i} (z - \frac{1}{z})[/itex]

and i get[itex]\oint \frac{2}{5z^2+26zi-5}[/itex] which i factored down to [itex] (z = \frac{-26±\sqrt{776}}{10})[/itex]

but no matter how i proceed from here i can't get the answer, any ideas anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get real roots to a polynomial with complex coefficients?

1. What is the "Solving Method of Residues"?

The Solving Method of Residues is a mathematical technique used to solve complex integrals by breaking them down into simpler integrals. It involves using the concept of complex residues to evaluate the integral, which can be thought of as the "leftover" or "residue" of a function after it has been divided by a certain point.

2. How does the Solving Method of Residues work?

The method involves first breaking down the original integral into a series of simpler integrals using a partial fraction decomposition. Then, by finding the complex residues at the singular points of the original function, the integral can be evaluated using the Cauchy Residue Theorem. This involves summing up the residues at all singular points within the contour of integration.

3. When is the Solving Method of Residues used?

The Solving Method of Residues is typically used when traditional integration techniques, such as integration by parts or substitution, are not applicable. It is also useful for solving integrals with complex functions or singularities.

4. What are the limitations of the Solving Method of Residues?

One limitation of this method is that it can only be used for integrals with singularities that are isolated points within the contour of integration. Additionally, the method may not always provide a closed form solution and may require further manipulation to obtain a final answer.

5. Are there any tips for solving "Solving Method of Residues" homework problems?

Yes, it is important to carefully choose the contour of integration to ensure that all singularities are included within the contour. Additionally, it is helpful to practice finding complex residues and using the Cauchy Residue Theorem to evaluate integrals. It may also be useful to review partial fraction decomposition techniques.