1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Method of sections

1. Apr 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the force in each member of an equilateral truss. See figure.

2. Relevant equations

sum Fy=0
    sum Fx=0
    sum M=0

3. The attempt at a solution

first of all i tryed to cut through AB and AC and i off set the X/Y axis by rotating 30 degrees CCW then i did,

0=Fbc-735cos60

i thought i would get the right answer for Fbc but it is wrong.
    Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2010 #2
    First of all, try always to draw to scale, in order to avoid distorting the problem. Secondly, when you make a cut, as you have done, replace the cut ends with the forces that are "exposed", in direction if you don't know the magnitude. Then make equilibrium statements about the free body diagram that results, with all the horizontal and vertical components if necessary. In this case, are you able to sketch the triangle of forces at B, more or less to scale? The equation you attempted ignored the contribution from BC.

4. Apr 4, 2010 #3
    Sorry, that last sentence should have said "The equation you attempted ignored the contribution from AB.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook