Method of Sections: Solving Truss Moment & Force Equations

• Thread starter D0m
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the speaker is having trouble correctly calculating the moment after cutting a truss, and is seeking help from others. They have attached their work and equations and are specifically struggling with knowing when to use sine or cosine values in truss calculations. The other speaker suggests drawing a diagram to show where the section is being taken and isolating that part of the frame for equilibrium. They also mention that the equation provided may not be correct due to the placement of forces on either side of the point being considered.
D0m
Hi guys I am having trouble taking the moment after i cut the truss, the answear always seems to be off. I attached my work in the attachements. Can you check if my equations are right.

for moment: Mom@c=0: (ACx2.2)+(18.72x2.2)+(24x2.2)=0, AC=42.7??
sum of all forces in x direction: Fx=0: -24+AC+BD+BCsin(30)=0
sum of all forces in y direction: Fy=0: -18.72+BCcos(30)=0

****One of my main problems is the cos and sine values because some times x is cos and sometimes its sine when you doing trusses is there a trick on how i can tell which one to use?****

Attachments

• IMG_0596.jpg
    IMG_0596.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 434
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the method of sections you should draw a diagram to show where you have taken a section. In your first eqn, you start with the statement Mom@c=0 but go on to say AC x 2.2 etc But Force AC passes through c. So, taking moments about C should result in a zero moment contribution from the force AC.. The rest of your equation contains forces to the left and tot the right of C. This underlines the importance of sketching where the section is that you are considering and isolating that part of the frame (to the left or to the right of your section) about whose equilibrium you intend to make a statement. We could deal with sin and cos after you have started correctly.

1. What is the Method of Sections for solving truss moment and force equations?

The Method of Sections is a technique used to determine the internal forces and moments in a truss structure. It involves cutting a section of the truss and analyzing the forces and moments acting on that section to solve for the unknown forces and reactions.

2. When should the Method of Sections be used?

The Method of Sections is typically used when there are a large number of unknown forces and moments in a truss structure. It is also useful for determining the internal forces and moments at a specific point in the truss, rather than analyzing the entire structure.

3. What are the steps involved in using the Method of Sections?

The first step is to cut the truss at the desired section and draw a free body diagram of the cut section. Next, apply equilibrium equations to solve for the unknown forces and moments. Finally, use the method of joints to solve for any remaining unknowns in the truss structure.

4. What types of truss structures can the Method of Sections be applied to?

The Method of Sections can be applied to both simple and complex truss structures, including those with multiple supports, loads, and non-parallel members. It is a versatile method that can be used for a variety of truss configurations.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Method of Sections?

The Method of Sections assumes that the truss structure is in static equilibrium and that the members are connected by ideal pins at the joints. It is not suitable for structures with moving or dynamic loads, as well as structures with non-ideal connections or members that are not straight.