How Can I Correctly Use sprintf to Define Histogram Titles in My Method?

• Thread starter neu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the speaker has created a method to fill histograms and needs to use sprintf to define histogram titles with a wildcard (%s) that is called to be a string such as proton, antiproton, etc. However, they are encountering segmentation violations and suspect it is due to incorrect usage of sprintf. They are advised to set the first element of histo1_name[] to 0 and to convert the c++ string to a C string before using sprintf.
neu
Basically I've made a method to fill histograms and I need to use sprintf to define histogram titles with a wildcard (%s) that I call to be a string such as proton, antiproton etc depending on what dat I want to plot.

So anyway, here's an example of what I've done:

void PythiaMC_Analysis::fillMM_Histos(string histoID, double deltaPseudo) {

char histo1_name[100];
sprintf(histo1_name,"%s_Matched_deltaEta",histoID);
Fill(histo1,deltaPseudo);

}

Which I'd call after defining the histoID to be proton, antiproton or whatever. I've simplified the code to one plot for the sake of brevity.

SO basically I'm getting segmentation violations to do with this method, I have deduced that it occurs at the first occurance of sprintf. Am I using it incorrectly?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Technology news on Phys.org

You should set at least the first element of histo1_name[] to 0, otherwise it is likely to be created full of random data (at least in a release build), a \0 is needed to mark the end of a C string.

Also sprintf is a c function, the %s matches a 'C' \0 terminated string, it doesn't know anything about the c++ string data type you are using.
Your string library probably has a getData method or can automatically convert it with something like (char*)histoID.

Thank you for sharing your method for filling histograms. It seems like you are on the right track with using sprintf to define histogram titles with a wildcard. However, it is difficult for me to determine the cause of your segmentation violations without seeing the rest of your code. It is possible that there is an issue with how you are defining the histogram ID or with how you are using the Fill function. I would recommend checking your code for any potential errors and also consulting with other experts in your field for further assistance. It may also be helpful to provide more context and details about your method, such as what your code is supposed to do and what type of data you are working with. Good luck with your analysis!

1. What is the purpose of filling histograms in a scientific method?

The purpose of filling histograms is to visually represent the distribution of data in a dataset. This allows scientists to analyze and understand patterns and trends in the data.

2. How do you choose the number of bins for a histogram?

The number of bins for a histogram should be chosen based on the range and distribution of the data. Generally, the number of bins should be between 5-20, with more bins for larger datasets and less bins for smaller datasets.

3. What is the difference between a histogram and a bar graph?

A histogram is used to show the distribution of continuous numerical data, while a bar graph is used to compare discrete categories or groups. In a histogram, the bars are touching each other to represent the continuous nature of the data, while in a bar graph, there is space between the bars.

4. How do outliers affect a histogram?

Outliers can significantly skew the shape and interpretation of a histogram. It is important to identify and handle outliers appropriately, such as removing them from the dataset or reporting them separately.

5. Can you fill a histogram with non-numerical data?

No, histograms are specifically used for numerical data. Categorical data can be represented in a bar graph or a pie chart.