Method to find the centre of a conic section from its equation

In summary, the process of finding the centre of a conic section involves differentiating the equation with respect to x and y, and solving the resulting equations. This method works for any conic section in any coordinate system, as long as the coordinate axes are parallel to the axes of symmetry. This is because any coordinate system can be transformed into one where the conic section is in the form f(x, y) = A(x-x_0)^2 + B(y-y_0)^2 = C, with (x_0, y_0) as the center. The process of differentiation does not change the coordinate system.
zorro
In the second degree equation of a conic section (ellipse/hyperbola), I have seen many books following this method to find out the centre of the conic section-

1) Differentiate the equation w.r.t x treating y as constant
2) Differentiate the equation w.r.t y treating x as constant.
3) Solve the above two equations to find out the centre of the curve

I searched many books but did not find the theory behind it.
Can anyone explain me?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Any conic section can be written in the form [itex]f(x, y)= A(x- x_0)^2+ B(y- y_0)^2= C[/itex] for some number A and B, in some coordinate system (with coordinate axes parallel to the axes of symmetry of the conic section), and [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex] as center in that coordinate system.

In this case, [itex]f_x= 2A(x- x_0)= 0[/itex] and [itex]f_y= 2B(y- y_0)= 0[/itex] so that [itex]x= x_0[/itex] and [itex]y= y_0[/itex]. For the general equation you need that any coordinate system can be transformed into this coordinate system by rotations and translations which transform linear equations into linear equations.

HallsofIvy said:
which transform linear equations into linear equations.

I did not get this.
One more thing, by the process of differentiation, are we changing the co-ordinate system?

Abdul Quadeer said:
I did not get this.
Do you understand what I mean by "rotations" and "translations"? What happens, say, to the line y= mx if you translate it by adding a to x and adding b to y? What happens if you rotate around the origin by an angle [itex]\theta[/itex].

One more thing, by the process of differentiation, are we changing the co-ordinate system?
Of course not. In order to be able to differentiate with respect to "x" and "y", we must have variables "x" and "y" which means a specific coordinate system.

Likes Ravi tej
Thanks!
I got it.

What is a conic section?

A conic section is a curve that is formed by the intersection of a plane and a cone. It includes shapes such as circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas.

Why is it important to find the centre of a conic section?

The centre of a conic section is an important point that helps determine the shape and properties of the curve. It is also used in various applications such as engineering, astronomy, and mathematics.

What is the method to find the centre of a conic section from its equation?

The method involves finding the coefficients of the equation and using them to determine the coordinates of the centre. For example, in the equation of a circle, the centre can be found by taking the average of the x and y coefficients.

Can the centre of a conic section be located outside of the curve?

Yes, it is possible for the centre of a conic section to be located outside of the curve in certain cases. For example, in the case of a hyperbola, the centre lies outside of the curve.

Are there any shortcuts or tricks to finding the centre of a conic section?

There are certain formulas and techniques that can make it easier to find the centre of a conic section. For instance, in the case of a parabola, the centre can be found by using the formula h = -b/2a, where a and b are the coefficients of the equation.