Methods for calculating the field

• Thread starter psuchetic_edition
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, there are several methods for calculating the electric field due to a uniformly charged ring. The most straightforward is to use Coulombs law, which can be applied to a closed circular wire. Another option is to use Ampere's law, which can be applied to a magnetic field.
psuchetic_edition
hi guys,i wanted to know if any of u have a method for calculatind the electricfield of a uniformly electrified closed loop of radius 'r' over all the space?
:grumpy:

Physics news on Phys.org
You're going to have to be more specific. I'm not 100% clear on what the problem is.

Find the electric field of a uniformly charged ring of radius 'r.'

I think it would require spherical integration and some trig (i.e. it's probably going to be long and messy).

First, I would draw a picture. Mine has the ring on the x-y plane centered at the origin.

Next, I would pick a random point on the graph. I drew one off to the side in the upper half of the space. I would then draw a vector from the origin to the point. I call this position vector a. Next, I will draw a position vector from the origin to a point on the ring and call it b. There is a third vector you can draw now, one from the end of b on the ring to the random point (the end of a) Let's call this resultant vector c. Now you should have a triangle.

To find the electric field, you need to first find the potential at that point. To do this, you need to find the contribution from the entire ring. This means you need to integrate along the ring.

The potential due to one small infintesimal portion of the ring is a function of the length of c. To find the length of c, you'll need to do some trig (law of cosines). Since you picked a random point, you'll need to generalize the coordinates. The length of c will undoubtedly be affected by what part of the ring you chose. Therefore, you must integrate your expression around the ring. Then, take the negative gradient to get the electric field.

I can't really go into much detail without actually solving it. Perhaps there's an easier way that someone knows.

psuchetic_edition said:
hi guys,i wanted to know if any of u have a method for calculatind the electricfield of a uniformly electrified closed loop of radius 'r' over all the space?
:grumpy:

this is the best option:

One can use Coulombs law to calculate the E field, use polar coordinates because you will have to integrate over the closed circular wire.

or
You can use Ampere's law to calculate the magnetic field and from the Maxwell equations, calculate the E field...There are several options

marlon

Last edited:
I assume you mean to find the electric field due to a uniformly charged ring of radius R.
On the axis of the ring, that is a standard elementary textbook problem.
It is easier to first find the potential, and then the E field will be the gradient of the potential.

To find the potential off the axis, you first expand it in a power series.
Then the power series can be related to a Legendre polynomial expansion in cos\theta to find the potential off the axis. (I assume this is what you meant by "over all space".) This off-axis problem is done in some advanced texts.

What is the purpose of calculating the field?

The field is a physical quantity that describes the influence of a particular force on a given point in space. By calculating the field, scientists can better understand and predict the behavior of physical systems.

What are some common methods for calculating the field?

Some common methods for calculating the field include mathematical equations, computer simulations, and experimental measurements. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the most appropriate method will depend on the specific situation and goals of the study.

How accurate are the results of field calculations?

The accuracy of field calculations depends on several factors, including the complexity of the system being studied, the precision of the data and measurements used, and the assumptions made in the calculation process. In most cases, there will be some level of uncertainty in the results, which can be minimized through careful experimental design and validation.

Can field calculations be used to make predictions?

Yes, field calculations can be used to make predictions about the behavior of physical systems. By using mathematical models and simulations, scientists can forecast how a system will respond to different conditions and inputs. However, the accuracy of these predictions will depend on the accuracy of the calculations and the assumptions made in the modeling process.

What are some real-world applications of field calculations?

Field calculations have a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and geology. Some examples include predicting weather patterns, designing structures to withstand specific forces, and understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields in electronic devices. Field calculations also play a crucial role in developing new technologies and improving existing ones.