Methods of integration: direct and indirect substitution

In summary: However, the order in which we substitute the variables can make a big difference in the result.In summary, Approach I is known as the method of integration by direct substitution, whereas Approach II is known as the method of integration by indirect substitution.
donaldparida
I have seen two approaches to the method of integration by substitution (in two different books). On searching the internet i came to know that Approach I is known as the method of integration by direct substitution whereas Approach II is known as the method of integration by indirect substitution.

Approach I

Let I=∫f(φ(x))φ'(x)dx

Let z=φ(x)

∴φ'(x)dx=dz

∴I=∫f(z)dz

Approach II

Let I=∫f(x)dx

Let x=φ(z)

∴dx=φ'(z)dz

∴I=∫f(φ(z))φ'(z)dz

My problem: While i can understand Approach I, I cannot understand Approach II. What is the difference between the two approaches. What is the difference in their usage. I very confused. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Approach II seems to be approach I in reverse order. It is possible that it (II) is meaningful for a specific problem, but otherwise it doesn't seem to have much point. Approach I is widely used.

mathman said:
Approach I is widely used.

Approach II could be interpreted as what a calculus student encounters. The student must find a useful ##\phi(z)##.

donaldparida said:
whereas Approach II is known as the method of integration by indirect substitution.

To me (in the USA) "integration by indirect substitution" is not commonly used terminology. I find this web page https://www.askiitians.com/iit-jee-indefinite-integral/indirect-substitution/ where the terminology is used. (It also uses "integral" to mean "antiderivative".) The method presented on that page could be in interpreted as your Approach I instead of Approach II.

If we are finding ##\int H(x)dx## and wish to make a substitution to introduce a new variable ##z##, we can write the relation between ##x## and ##z## in two equivalent ways. We can write it as ##g(z) = x## or ##g^{-1}(x) = z## where ##g^{-1}## is the inverse function of ##g##.

The two Approaches differ in how they choose to express the same relationship. Visualize the ##\phi## in Approach I as denoting the inverse function of the ##\phi## in Approach II and you can see the approaches are doing the same thing mathematically. They both replace ##x## by some function of another variable.

The two Approaches differ as techniques of pattern recognition. When ##H(x)## is an expression we recognize as containing the product of a function with its derivative such as ##(... (sin(x))^2 + ...) ( cos(x))## we try the substitution ##z = sin(x)##. When ##H(x)## is not obviously of that form we might try the substitution ##x = arcsin(z)## just to see what happens. The equations ##z = sin(x)## and ##x = arcsin(z) ## express the same substitution.

1. What is direct substitution in integration?

Direct substitution is a method of integration used to evaluate definite or indefinite integrals by replacing the variable in the integrand with a new variable that is equal to the original variable. This allows for easier integration and simplification of the integral.

2. How is direct substitution used in integration?

To use direct substitution in integration, the integrand must be in the form of f(x) and the variable being substituted must be the only variable in the integrand. The new variable should also be equal to the original variable, such as u = x. After substitution, the integral can be evaluated using standard integration techniques.

3. What is indirect substitution in integration?

Indirect substitution, also known as u-substitution, is a method of integration used to evaluate integrals that cannot be solved using direct substitution. It involves substituting a function, u, in place of the variable in the integrand, and then solving for u using algebraic manipulation. The integral is then rewritten in terms of u and evaluated using standard integration techniques.

4. When is indirect substitution used in integration?

Indirect substitution is used when integrals cannot be solved using direct substitution. This is often the case when the integrand contains a function within a function, such as sin(x^2) or e^(x^3). In these cases, the inner function is substituted with a new variable, u, and the integral is rewritten in terms of u for easier evaluation.

5. What are the benefits of using substitution in integration?

Substitution in integration allows for the evaluation of more complex integrals by simplifying the integrand and making it easier to integrate. It also helps to solve integrals that cannot be solved using other integration techniques. Additionally, substitution can help to identify patterns and relationships between integrals, making it a useful tool in the study of calculus and mathematics.