1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Methyl amine w/ a sulfonyl chloride

1. Aug 11, 2005 #1
    Does anyone have any secret tricks to get this rxn to go? Usually a secondary amine with a sulfonyl chloride gives the sulfonamide really easily, but I am now trying it w/ methyl amine, which is obviously primary, and it does not want to go at all. I tried dissolving the sulfonyl chloride in ethyl acetate and adding the amine which LC/MS said didn't work. I also tried dissolving the sulfonyl chloride in ethyl acetate, adding 15 eq. of methyl amine, and some DMAP, still without success according to LC/MS. Anyone have any bright ideas on how to get this one to go?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2005 #2

movies

Science Advisor

Maybe add a little base? That's really weird. That reaction should go like a shot. Are you using neat MeNH2 or the aqueous solution? What about heating it up for a while?

4. Aug 11, 2005 #3
    I am using methyl amine in THF 2.0 M solution. When I add the amine to the solution a white precipitate forms, but its not my product. It is some mystery compound w/ a mass I don't recognize in the LC/MS. Can that extra proton on the amine moiety fall off and react w/ something else in the reaction? The UV trace on the LC/MS didn't show a peak for my desired compound at all. Would heating still help it then? I wish I could be more descriptive w/ the material I am working with, but its confidential.

5. Aug 12, 2005 #4

movies

Science Advisor

Heh, I understand the confidentiality thing. Is it a heterocycle by any chance?

I would start by trying to add 2 equiv of triethylamine. The solid might be methylamine-HCl, but you should get at least some of your desired produce.

Does the LCMS hit for MeNH2 reacting with 2 equivalents of sulfonyl chloride? If that is the case then try an inverse addition (add a solution of the sulfonyl chloride dropwise to the MeNH2 solution).

Any other reactive functionalities in the sulfonyl chloride part?

You might also just try a test reaction with MeNH2 and tosyl chloride just to make sure that it isn't a problem with your technique or something. There ought to be a procedure for that exact reaction out there somewhere.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2005
  6. Aug 15, 2005 #5
    Hmm for some reason I got the reaction to go using the hydrochloride salt of methyl amine w/ some DIEA. Thanks for the suggestions though.

7. Aug 16, 2005 #6

movies

Science Advisor

Hey, whatever works!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?