Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Methyl amine w/ a sulfonyl chloride

1. Aug 11, 2005 #1
    Does anyone have any secret tricks to get this rxn to go? Usually a secondary amine with a sulfonyl chloride gives the sulfonamide really easily, but I am now trying it w/ methyl amine, which is obviously primary, and it does not want to go at all. I tried dissolving the sulfonyl chloride in ethyl acetate and adding the amine which LC/MS said didn't work. I also tried dissolving the sulfonyl chloride in ethyl acetate, adding 15 eq. of methyl amine, and some DMAP, still without success according to LC/MS. Anyone have any bright ideas on how to get this one to go?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2005 #2

movies

Science Advisor

Maybe add a little base? That's really weird. That reaction should go like a shot. Are you using neat MeNH2 or the aqueous solution? What about heating it up for a while?

4. Aug 11, 2005 #3
    I am using methyl amine in THF 2.0 M solution. When I add the amine to the solution a white precipitate forms, but its not my product. It is some mystery compound w/ a mass I don't recognize in the LC/MS. Can that extra proton on the amine moiety fall off and react w/ something else in the reaction? The UV trace on the LC/MS didn't show a peak for my desired compound at all. Would heating still help it then? I wish I could be more descriptive w/ the material I am working with, but its confidential.

5. Aug 12, 2005 #4

movies

Science Advisor

Heh, I understand the confidentiality thing. Is it a heterocycle by any chance?

I would start by trying to add 2 equiv of triethylamine. The solid might be methylamine-HCl, but you should get at least some of your desired produce.

Does the LCMS hit for MeNH2 reacting with 2 equivalents of sulfonyl chloride? If that is the case then try an inverse addition (add a solution of the sulfonyl chloride dropwise to the MeNH2 solution).

Any other reactive functionalities in the sulfonyl chloride part?

You might also just try a test reaction with MeNH2 and tosyl chloride just to make sure that it isn't a problem with your technique or something. There ought to be a procedure for that exact reaction out there somewhere.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2005
  6. Aug 15, 2005 #5
    Hmm for some reason I got the reaction to go using the hydrochloride salt of methyl amine w/ some DIEA. Thanks for the suggestions though.

7. Aug 16, 2005 #6

movies

Science Advisor

Hey, whatever works!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?