Calculating Heat of Object in Re-Entry: Kelvin °

• Thread starter nicholas0211510
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, scientists estimate the heat of an object by calculating the pressure and temperature of the air around the object.
nicholas0211510
How do scientists calculate or estimate the heat of a object in atmospheric re-entry in ° kelvin (the specific formula or formulas if any exist). I'm guessing it has to do with velocity and mass of the object but I'm not sure on the whole process

Thanks in advanced :)

Science news on Phys.org
I don't have an answer to your question, but just FYI "reentry" is a term only used for stuff that we sent up and are getting back (whether we like it or not). Meteors have never been here so they are not RE-entering, just entering. Also, I think the heat you are talking about is just what exists at the surface of the object entering the atmosphere. For example, the Space Shuttle ablative tiles got REALLY hot, but the rest of the vehicle didn't. So "meteor heat" isn't quite the right concept, it's more "surface heat of object entering atmosphere".

phinds the NitPicker :smile:

Likes nicholas0211510
Thanks for some clarification :)

Disclaimer: I may not know what I'm talking about. I would appreciate it if someone more knowledgeable than I could correct any errors.

I recall reading somewhere, I have no idea where, that the majority of heat comes from, compression, rather than friction. I would imagine that the heating from friction would pretty well cancel out with how quickly the air would cool it.

If that is correct, you should be able to determine the temperature of the air if you can calculate the pressure in front of the object.

nicholas0211510 said:
How do scientists calculate or estimate the heat of a object in atmospheric re-entry in ° kelvin (the specific formula or formulas if any exist). I'm guessing it has to do with velocity and mass of the object but I'm not sure on the whole process

Thanks in advanced :)

You can get a rough estimate by the color of the meteor trail (assuming blackbody radiation and using Wien's law)- by my eye, the color is orange-red, corresponding to about 5000K. The space shuttle materials, during re-entry, had to deal with about 2000K loads

Murdock said:
Disclaimer: I may not know what I'm talking about. I would appreciate it if someone more knowledgeable than I could correct any errors.

I recall reading somewhere, I have no idea where, that the majority of heat comes from, compression, rather than friction. I would imagine that the heating from friction would pretty well cancel out with how quickly the air would cool it.

If that is correct, you should be able to determine the temperature of the air if you can calculate the pressure in front of the object.
Stagnation temperature.
Nasa has a brief on it.
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/BGH/stagtmp.html

The graph gives temperature in degrees Rankine.

The dotted lines for an imperfect gas means that the object( or the air) has to be traveling faster to give the same stagnation temperature, or, at the same Mach number the imperfect gas will give a lower stagnation temperature.

Of course that temperature is only at one small spot where the air and the object are at the same velocity relative to one other, hense the term stagnation.

1. What is the formula for calculating the heat of an object during re-entry?

The formula for calculating the heat of an object during re-entry is q = ρ*Cp*V*ΔT, where q is the heat, ρ is the density of the object, Cp is the specific heat capacity, V is the velocity of the object, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

2. How do you convert Kelvin to degrees Celsius?

To convert Kelvin to degrees Celsius, you subtract 273.15 from the Kelvin temperature. For example, if the temperature is 300K, the temperature in degrees Celsius would be 300K - 273.15 = 26.85°C.

3. What factors affect the heat of an object during re-entry?

The heat of an object during re-entry is affected by its velocity, density, and specific heat capacity. The angle of re-entry, the object's shape and surface materials, and the density of the atmosphere also play a role.

4. How does the heat of an object during re-entry affect its trajectory?

The heat of an object during re-entry can cause changes in its trajectory due to the aerodynamic forces acting on the object. These forces can cause the object to slow down or speed up, altering its trajectory.

5. Can the heat of an object during re-entry be controlled?

Yes, the heat of an object during re-entry can be controlled through various methods such as changing the angle of re-entry, using heat-resistant materials for the object's surface, and implementing cooling systems. These methods help to dissipate the heat and protect the object from damage.