Are Metric and Imperial Bolts Interchangeable?

In summary, different bolts have different dimensions and angles, and different countries have different standards for them.
Ask1122
Hi guys, i want to ask about bolts, the metric and imperial bolts, are they the same but just one of them is in inches while the other one is in mm? What would a 1/4 inch bolt be equivalent to, a M6?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The thread profiles and pitches are different, so as a general rule one metric bolt can not be used as a replacement for an imperial bolt.

For example, a 6-32 bolt has a thread pitch of about 0.79 mm/thd, and a body diameter of 3.5mm. These dimensions are not equivalent to any standard metric fasteners.

A whole book could be written on that question. I regularly see equipment where someone has tried to screw a 1/4" npt male into a 1/4 bsp hole which ruins the hole. I think that even among similar size and pitch, flank angle is also different.
With metric, SAE, Imperial, Wentworth, and then the "poor versions" of these same threads that are made in other countries for cheap products, proper fastener selection, and proper use can be somewhat "problematic at best"

dr

it is just a bit weired that you have all these different size systems for bolts, so i would believe that ASME will use the imperial bolts, then which standards uses metric bolts? DIN, AD maybe?

all the styles and standards came from the evolution of technology
actually interesting history

dr

Ask1122 said:
it is just a bit weired that you have all these different size systems for bolts, so i would believe that ASME will use the imperial bolts, then which standards uses metric bolts? DIN, AD maybe?
Everybody except the US (and owners of classic British motorbikes) uses metric today.

An English guy called Whitworth invented the first standardized thread in about 1850, it's actually a lot more complicated than just picking a width, he designed the mathematically best angle and shape for the groove.
The US standardized on roughly the same size but simplified the angle so it was easier to make.
In about 1900, everybody in europe (except the Brits) standardized on metric.

There are few hangovers from the very early designs, because Britain was the biggest market for scientific instruments things like microscope objective threads, camera lenses and still today tripod screws are based on whitworth, even if they were made in metric countries.

1. What is the difference between metric and imperial bolts?

Metric bolts are measured in millimeters and use the metric system of measurement, while imperial bolts are measured in inches and use the imperial system of measurement.

2. Can metric bolts be used interchangeably with imperial bolts?

No, metric and imperial bolts have different thread sizes and pitches, so they are not interchangeable.

3. Which system of measurement is more commonly used for bolts?

The metric system is more commonly used for bolts, especially in countries that have adopted the metric system as their primary measurement system.

4. How do I convert metric bolts to imperial bolts?

To convert metric bolts to imperial bolts, you will need to use a conversion chart or calculator. It is important to note that the conversion is not always exact, so it is best to use the closest equivalent size.

5. Is one system of measurement better than the other for bolts?

There is no clear answer to this question as it depends on the specific application and the preferences of the user. However, the metric system is generally considered to be more precise and easier to use for measurements.