1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metric connection

1. Jul 11, 2014 #1
    Dear all,

In my journey through learning General relativity. I have stumbled upon this problem. I have to calculate the geodesic equation for R[itex]^{3}[/itex] in cylindrical polars. I am not sure how to use the metric connection. The indices confuse me. I would appreciate it if someone could shade some light on it. Every time I try to calculate it I get zero, sometimes due to the first metric tensor and sometime the terms in the parentheses are zeros.

[itex]\Gamma_{bc}^{a}=\frac{1}{2}g^{ad}(\partial_{b}g_{dc}+\partial_{c}g_{db}-\partial_{d}g_{bc})[/itex]

As I understand it, the index d is the dummy index and runs from 1 to 3 in this case, right? What about b and c? how do I use them?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2014 #2
    Yes and a, b and c can be 1, 2 or 3 giving 27 gamma's.

You have to calculate all the gamma's, but a lot of them are equals or vanish.

What did you find for the metric in these coordinates?

4. Jul 11, 2014 #3
    I actually got it now :smile:

Thanks bloby

5. Jul 11, 2014 #4
    Ok, you're welcome.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted