1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metric geometry

1. Jan 28, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that a line in a metric geometry has infinitely many points.

2. The attempt at a solution

I can't use any real analysis, like completeness. I can only use geometry to prove this, specifically distances and rulers.

Intituvely I understand why. Any segment with at least two points has infinitely many points, because, intuitively, given any two distinct points, there is a third one, distinct from both of them and so on. But how can I prove this formally?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2014 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is your definition of a "metric geometry"?

4. Jan 29, 2014 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

And, for that matter, your definition of "line"?

5. Jan 29, 2014 #4
    Sorry for that:

Metric geometry: An incidence geometry ##\{P, L\}##, where ##P## is the set of points, ##L## set of lines, together with a distance function ##d## satisfies if ever line ##l\in L## has a ruler. In this case we say ##M = \{P,L,d\}## is a metric geometry.

Line: for line I will define it as an incidence geometry. If every two distinct points in ##L## lie on a unique line and there exist three points ##a,b,c\in L## which do not lie all on one line. If ##\{P,L\}## is an incidence geometry and ##p,q\in P##, then the unique line ##l## on which both ##p,q## lie will be written as ##l=\vec{pq}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted