Metric of 2 Bodies: Superposition & Resulting Tensor

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding the metric tensor produced by the existence of two massive bodies and whether the principle of superposition applies to metrics. It is suggested that a static Weyl solution may exist for two point masses held apart by a nonphysical strut, but this solution cannot be obtained by simply adding the metrics of each body due to nonlinearity in the equations. Google books provides a description of the Weyl solutions, which are described by an axially symmetric solution of Laplace's equation in a flat 3-space.
tarquinius
Hello there. I would like to find the metric tensor produced by the existence of two massive bodies. Does the principle of superposition work for metrics as well? The first idea I got was to add the two metrics for each separate body in order to obtain the resulting one. Is this approach valid? I should be grateful for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
tarquinius, If you really mean two free particles, the solution will be quite complicated since they will accelerate toward each other, emitting gravitational radiation, and eventually coalesce. The problem can only be solved numerically.

Otherwise a static Weyl solution exists that has two point masses held a fixed distance apart by a nonphysical strut.

And does this Weyl solution work the way I have described above? Would it be possible to just add the metric of each body in order to obtain the resulting one?

You can't add the solutions together, at least not in strong fields, because the equations aren't linear.

OK. That's what I expected. I just wanted to be sure that the resulting metric can't be produced in such a simply way before starting deriving the tensor from the field equation.

Here, courtesy of Google books, is a description of the Weyl solutions. They comprise all static axially symmetric vacuum solutions, and are described by an axially symmetric solution U of Laplace's equation in a flat 3-space. Although Laplace's equation is linear, and you can superpose solutions in that sense, there are other terms in the metric which depend on U in a nonlinear fashion.

1. What is the superposition principle in regards to the metric of two bodies?

The superposition principle states that the total metric of two bodies can be obtained by adding the individual metrics of each body. This principle is based on the assumption that the two bodies are not interacting with each other and their gravitational fields do not affect each other.

2. How do we calculate the resulting tensor for two bodies using the superposition principle?

To calculate the resulting tensor for two bodies, we need to add the individual tensors for each body. This can be done by adding the components of the tensors in each direction. For example, the resulting tensor for the x-direction would be the sum of the x-components of the individual tensors.

3. What is the significance of the resulting tensor in the metric of two bodies?

The resulting tensor represents the gravitational field of the two bodies. It provides information about the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of these bodies and can be used to calculate the trajectories of objects in their vicinity.

4. Can the superposition principle be applied to more than two bodies?

Yes, the superposition principle can be applied to any number of bodies as long as their gravitational fields do not interact with each other. However, as the number of bodies increases, the calculations for the resulting tensor become more complex and may require advanced mathematical techniques.

5. Are there any limitations to the superposition principle in the metric of two bodies?

Yes, the superposition principle is only applicable in the weak-field regime, where the gravitational fields of the two bodies are relatively weak. In the strong-field regime, where the gravitational fields are very strong, the principle does not hold and more complex calculations are needed to determine the resulting tensor.