1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metric orthonormal basis

1. Dec 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For the orthonormal coordinate system (X,Y) the metric is

\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix}

Calculate G' in 2 ways.

1) G'= M[itex]^{T}[/itex]*G*M
    2) g[itex]\acute{}[/itex][itex]_{ij}[/itex] = [itex]\overline{a}\acute{}_{i}[/itex] . [itex]\overline{a}\acute{}_{j}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

\begin{pmatrix} \overline{a}\acute{}_{1} \\ \overline{a}\acute{}_{2} \end{pmatrix}
    = \begin{pmatrix} -cos(\phi).\overline{a}\acute{}_{1} -\overline{a}\acute{}_{2} \\
    cos(\phi).\overline{a}\acute{}_{2}\end{pmatrix}

M= \begin{pmatrix} -cos(\phi) & 0 \\ -1 & cos(\phi) \end{pmatrix}
    M[itex]^{T}[/itex] = \begin{pmatrix} -cos(\phi) & -1 \\ 0 & cos(\phi) \end{pmatrix}
    G=\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix}
    => G' = \begin{pmatrix} cos²(\phi) +1 & -cos(\phi) \\ -cos(\phi) & cos²(\phi) \end{pmatrix}

3. The attempt at a solution

So I'm having problems with the 2nd method i.e. g[itex]\acute{}[/itex][itex]_{ij}[/itex] = [itex]\overline{a}\acute{}_{i}[/itex] . [itex]\overline{a}\acute{}_{j}[/itex]

g[itex]\acute{}[/itex][itex]_{11}[/itex] = (-cos[itex](\phi)[/itex] . [itex]\overline{a}_{1}[/itex] -[itex]\overline{a}_{2}[/itex]) . (-cos[itex](\phi)[/itex] . [itex]\overline{a}_{1}[/itex] -[itex]\overline{a}_{2}[/itex]) = ?

What are the values for [itex]\overline{a}_{1}[/itex] and [itex]\overline{a}_{2}[/itex] ?
    I think they're both 1 because they're both unit vectors of length 1 but I'm not sure.
    Also, this is the first time ever I have used LaTeX so sorry if it's a bit sloppy.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2013 #2
    Also, I can't fall asleep because of this. I REALLY want to know the answer :p

4. Dec 19, 2013 #3
    If there's something confusing, just ask :)

5. Dec 19, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know what problem you are trying solve. I know what "orthogonal coordinates" means and I know what "orthonormal vector fields" are. I not sure I know what "orthonormal coordinates" are. I can guess but could you explain that? Might be best to start with the definitions before you plow into trying to prove things. That might make it a lot easier than you think. And what IS this G' you are trying to calculate anyway?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  6. Dec 20, 2013 #5

I'm sorry, I meant orthogonal coordinate system :)
    Basically I'm trying to find G' which is the metric of the coordinate system (X', Y').
    There are 2 ways to find this :
    1) G' = M^T * G * M (M=inverse transformationformula // M^T = the transposed matrix of M // G = metric of the coordinate system (X,Y) )

2) Via the multiplication of the primed basic vectors a1 and a2 (see first matrix) and that's where I'm stuck. I don't know if I'm supposed to fill in those basis vectors with the value 1 or just leave them like that BUT that would mean that the 2nd method has a different result from the 1st method which can't be possible. I think I have to fill it in.

Sorry for all the confusion!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted