Metric Space Explanation

In summary, the person is seeking clarification on Metric Space problems and has attempted to solve them but is still struggling. They are looking for guidance on using the triangle inequality and proving the inverse triangle inequality.
Someguy25
Hey All,

I have been working on some Metric Space problems for roughly 20hrs now and I cannot seem to grasp some of these concepts so I was hoping someone here could clear a few things up for me. My first problem is detailed below...

I have the following metric...

d(x,y) = d(x,y)/(1 + d(x,y)

Now I did a search on google and found a few examples on how to solve this and even one on these forums; however, nothing seems to really make sense to me. On this post https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=527353", I do not understand how to finally cancel terms out. I did the following..

a = d(x,y)
b = d(x,z)
c = d(y,z)

Plugging into the triangle inequality we get...

a ≤ b + c

From here we can use our metrics and get...

a/(1+a)≤ b/(1+b) + c/(1+c)

Now in the post it talks about multiplying each side by (1+a)(1+b)(1+c) If I do this I arrive at...

a(1+a)(1+b)(1+c)/((1+a)(1+a)(1+b)(1+c)) ≤ b(1+a)(1+b)(1+c)/((1+b)(1+a)(1+b)(1+c) + c(1+a)(1+b)(1+c)/((1+c)(1+a)(1+b)(1+c)

From here it just becomes a mess to me and I feel like I am not making any progress. Can someone point out to me what I am doing wrong and where I should be going with this please?

My next question is simple...

For proving the inverse triangle inequality I used d(z,y) → d(y,z) and substituted used that to switch out each value of x and y so for instance...

d(x,y) ≤ d(x,z) + d(y,z) → d(x,z) ≤ d(x,y) + d(z,y)

I was wondering if this was a valid method?

Thank you all in advance for you help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Note that the function [itex]\dfrac{1}{1+x}[/itex] is increasing on R+.

Hi there,

I understand that you have been struggling with some Metric Space problems and are seeking some clarification. From your post, it seems like you have already done some research and attempted to solve the problems on your own, which is great! However, it sounds like you are still stuck and need some guidance.

For your first problem, it looks like you are on the right track with using the triangle inequality and plugging in your metrics. However, when you multiplied each side by (1+a)(1+b)(1+c), you should have also multiplied the denominators as well. This will help you cancel out some terms and simplify the expression. Remember, the goal is to show that a ≤ b + c, so you want to manipulate the expression until you get to that inequality. Keep trying and if you are still stuck, feel free to post your work and we can try to help you from there.

As for your second question, using d(z,y) instead of d(y,z) is not a valid method. The triangle inequality states that d(x,y) ≤ d(x,z) + d(z,y), so you cannot switch the order of the terms. However, if you use the fact that d(x,y) = d(y,x), then you can substitute d(y,x) for d(x,y) and follow the same steps to prove the inverse triangle inequality.

I hope this helps and good luck with your Metric Space problems! Don't hesitate to ask for help if you need it.

1. What is a metric space?

A metric space is a mathematical concept used to describe the distance between points in a set. It is a way to measure the similarity or dissimilarity between objects in a given space.

2. What are the properties of a metric space?

A metric space must have three main properties:
1. A distance function that satisfies the triangle inequality
2. A distance function that is positive and symmetric
3. The distance between any two points must be equal to 0 only if the two points are the same

3. How is a metric space different from a Euclidean space?

A metric space is a generalization of a Euclidean space. While a Euclidean space has specific properties, such as being flat and having straight lines, a metric space can have more complex and diverse properties. Additionally, a metric space can have a finite or infinite number of dimensions, while a Euclidean space is typically described as having three dimensions.

4. What is the importance of metric spaces in mathematics?

Metric spaces are important in mathematics because they provide a way to measure and compare objects in a given space. They are used in various fields, such as geometry, topology, and analysis, to study and understand the properties of different types of spaces.

5. How are metric spaces applied in real-world situations?

Metric spaces have various applications in the real world, such as in data analysis, machine learning, and image recognition. They can also be used to measure distances between cities or locations on a map, and in the study of networks and transportation systems.