1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metric space proof

1. Feb 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that if [itex] (X,\rho) [/itex]is a metric space then so is [itex](X,\bar\rho)[/itex], where
    \bar\rho:X \times X \Rightarrow R_{0}^{+}, (x,y) \Rightarrow \frac{\rho(x,y)}{1+\rho(x,y)}.

2. Relevant equations

I'm trying to prove the axiom that a metric space is positive definate.

3. The attempt at a solution

because given [itex] (X,\rho) [/itex] is a metric space is it enough to say that [itex](X,\bar\rho)[/itex], cannot be [itex]< 0 [/itex] because [itex] (X,\rho) [/itex] cannot be [itex]< 0 [/itex] ? ie the limit of [itex](X,\bar\rho)[/itex] is 0 as [itex] (X,\rho) [/itex] tends to zero ?
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2010 #2
    Yes, if x is not y, then [itex]
    [/itex] is greater than 0 since [itex]
    [/itex] is greater than 0 for this case.
    If x=y, then it is clear that [itex]
    [/itex] is 0 as you have [itex]

[/itex] = 0 in the numerator.
  4. Feb 27, 2010 #3
    Thanks for your help.

I have also got to prove the following
    Let [itex](Y, \theta)[/itex] be a metric space. Prove the following.
    [itex] f : X \rightarrow Y [/itex] is continuous with respect to [itex]\bar\rho [/itex] if and only if it is continuous with respect to [itex]\rho[/itex]

I know I have to show that the inverse of Open sets in Y are open in X and visa versa how ever I'm not sure how to represent the open sets in [itex]\bar\rho[/itex]

ie if I was proving [itex](X,\rho)[/itex] and [itex](Y,\theta)[/itex]

I would show that for each [itex] G \subseteq Y[/itex] that [itex]f^{-1}(G) [/itex]is an open [itex] \subseteq X [/itex] whenever [itex]G[/itex] isan open subset of [itex]Y[/itex]

As the metric space [itex]\bar\rho[/itex] uses the metric [itex]\rho[/itex] how to I incorporate that into the proof ?
  5. Feb 27, 2010 #4
    Let f be continuous wrt [itex]
    [/itex] and let G be open in Y. Then, as you pointed out, [itex]
    [/itex] is open in X. Let a be a point in [itex]
    [/itex] = A. Then, A is open in X implies that neighborhoods of a are in A (under the rho metric). Write out what these neighborhoods look like. They look like {y | ||a-y||[itex]
    < e }, and these neighborhoods are in X. Now what do the neighborhoods look like under the [itex]
    [/itex] metric and how do they relate to the usual neighborhoods?
  6. Mar 1, 2010 #5
    Does this look alright ?
    I've tried to use Open balls of radius [itex]\delta[/itex] and [itex]\psi[/itex]

So I have three metric spaces

[itex](Y, \theta)[/itex]
    and a function
    [itex] f : X \rightarrow Y [/itex]
    which is continous wrt [itex](X,\rho)[/itex]

So given [itex]f : X \rightarrow Y [/itex]continous wrt [itex]\rho[/itex].

Take a neighbourhood [itex]B_{\rho}(a,\delta) = {x \in X \mid \rho(x,a) < \delta } [/itex]

Then for each [itex]\epsilon > 0
    [/itex] there is an [itex] \delta > 0 [/itex]

Such that we have [itex]B_{\rho}(a,\delta) \leq \theta(f(x),f(a)) < \epsilon[/itex] As [itex] f [/itex] is continuous

To show that [itex] f : X \rightarrow Y [/itex] is continuous wrt [itex]\bar\rho[/itex] we need to to find a [itex]B_{\rho}(b,\psi) \subset B_{\rho}(a,\delta)[/itex]

So we can take [itex]\psi = \delta - \rho(b,a)[/itex]

[itex]\rho(x,b) < \psi[/itex]
    [itex]\rho(x,a) \leq \rho(x,b)+\rho(x,a)[/itex]
    [itex] \rho(x,a) < \psi+ \delta - \psi = \delta[/itex]

So we can know show that:
    [itex] f : X \rightarrow Y [/itex] is continuous wrt [itex]\bar\rho[/itex]

[itex]0 < B_{\bar\rho}(x,\psi) < \rho(f(x),f(b)) \leq B_{\rho}(a,\delta) \leq \theta(f(x),f(a)) < \epsilon[/itex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook