Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metric space proof

1. Sep 16, 2010 #1
    ok i am stumped on a proof i am trying to construct of a metric:
    d(x,y)=[tex]\frac{|x-y|}{1+|x-y|}[/tex]

so, out of the 3 requirements to be a metric, the first 2 are trivial and I am just working on proving the triangle inequality...

i need [tex]\frac{|x-y|}{1+|x-y|}[/tex] [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\frac{|x-z|}{1+|x-z|}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{|z-y|}{1+|z-y|}[/tex]

p2(1+q+r+qr) [tex]\leq[/tex] q2(1+p+r+pr)+r2(1+p+q+pq)

can i now go to:
    p(1+q+r+qr) [tex]\leq[/tex] q(1+p+r+pr)+r(1+p+q+pq) ???

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2010 #2
    If you simplify the inequality you get:

p<=q+r+(some other positive expressions)

This is true, because p<=q+r by the properties of the absolute value.

4. Sep 18, 2010 #3
    hint: first show that
    [tex] \frac{u}{1+u} \leq \frac{v}{1+v} [/tex]
    whenever
    [tex] 0 \leq u \leq v [/tex].

5. Sep 18, 2010 #4
    The method you're suggesting is clever, but the OP almost had a correct solution. He seems to have written down an unjustified inequality and then questioned the correct inequality (where the solution then immediate falls out by multiplying everything out and canceling).

6. Sep 18, 2010 #5
    i dont know If i posted enough info but, I had set |x-y|= p , |x-z| = q , |z-r| = r , and since the triangle equality holds, proving p <= q + r will suffice

7. Sep 19, 2010 #6
    Defining your variables would have probably gotten you more responses, but it was pretty easy to figure out what p,q,r was. The only confusing part was that the last inequality you wrote in the original post is not a consequence of the inequality before it. The last inequality is what you should get upon clearing denominators. Then multiply out and you should get what csopi wrote. It's also clear that the steps are reversible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook