1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metric space question

1. Nov 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to prove this proposition:

Let a and b be points in a metric space and r, s > 0. If c belongs to the intersection of B(a; r) and B(s; b), then there exists a number t > 0 such that B(c; t) is contained in the intersection of B(a; r) and B(s; b).

(where B(a; r) = {x in M : d(x,a) < r} if (M,d) is the metric space.)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let d be the metric.

Well I know what I want to prove, namely for some for t > 0, d(x,c) < t implies d(x,a) < r and d(x,b) < s.

About all I have to work withis the hypothesis that c is in the intersection of the two balls (so d(c,a) < r and d(c,b) < s) and the the triangle inequality. All I can come up is something like d(x,c) <= d(x,a) + d(a,c) < d(x,a) + r (and a similar string of inequalities for d(x,b)), which clearly doesn't do much.

I can't figure out the right t. Help please!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2009 #2
    Use your intuition to decide what t should be. Draw an open disc of radius r centered at a. Draw an open disc of radius s centered at b. Draw c in the intersection. How far is c from the boundary of the first disc? How far is c from the boundary of the second disc? Take t to be the minimum of those two distances.

Then write up a formal proof using your t.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook