1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metric space topology problem

1. Jul 25, 2007 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that if {K_n} is a decreasing family of compact connected sets in a metric space, then their intersection is connected as well. Illustrate with an example why 'compact' is necessary instead of just 'closed'.

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, I have a example for the second part of the question. Consider F_n = R²\{(x,y): -n<y<n, -1<x<1}. Then each F_n is closed and (path-)connected, but their intersection is the plane separated in half along the y axis by this open band of width 2, which is not connected.

For the first part though, I can visualize why it's true for simple examples, but I don't know how to approach a general proof.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok. Suppose the limit set K is disconnected. That means there are two open sets A and B that disconnect K, right? So A intersect B is empty but K is contained in AUB. Since K is compact we can define A and B so that A, B and K are all contained in the interior of a closed ball R. Consider the compact set R-(AUB). K_n is connected so it must intersect R-(AUB). So for each K_n there is a point in K_n, say x_n, contained in the compact set R-(AUB). I'll let you take over now...

4. Jul 26, 2007 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Nice, thx.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?