Metric Spaces - Open subset

• Thread starter Jonmundsson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metric
In summary, we are showing that U is an open subset of \mathcal{C}_{\mathbb{K}}(I) by using the definition of continuity and the concept of preimages, and the purpose of the norm is to measure the distance between functions and control error in approximating the integral.
Jonmundsson

Homework Statement

Let [itex]a,b \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] and we define [itex]I = [a,b][/itex] ([] means closed set). Let [itex]\mathcal{C}_{\mathbb{K}}(I)[/itex] be the space of all continuous functions [itex]I \to \mathbb{K}[/itex] with the norm [itex]f \mapsto ||f||_I = \displaystyle \sup _{x \in I} |f(x)|[/itex]. Let [itex]U[/itex] be the set of all continuous functions [itex]I \to \mathbb{K}[/itex] so that [itex]\displaystyle |\int _a ^b f(x)dx| < 1[/itex]. Show that [itex]U[/itex] is an open subset of [itex]\mathcal{C}_{\mathbb{K}}(I)[/itex].

Homework Equations

If [itex]f: X \to Y[/itex] is a continuous function and [itex]B \subset Y[/itex] is open then the preimage [itex]f^{-1}[/itex] is open.

For [itex]B \subset Y[/itex] the set [itex]f^{-1} = \{x \in X : f(x) \in B\}[/itex] is called the preimage of B.

[itex]\mathbb{K} = \mathbb{R}[/itex] or [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The function [itex]\mathcal{C} _{\mathbb{K}} (I) \to \mathbb{K}, f \mapsto \displaystyle \int _a ^b f(x)dx[/itex] is continuous because

[itex] \displaystyle |\int _a ^b f(x)dx| \leq \int _a ^b |f(x)|dx \leq \int _a ^b ||f||_I dx = ||f||_I \int _a ^b dx = (b-a)||f||_I[/itex]

I want to show that preimage of U is open then U is open using the two definitions I listed above. I'm just curious whether that is a legit method to solve this problem. I'm also wondering what the purpose of the norm is in this problem. If anyone can answer these questions I will be grateful.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Yes, your approach is correct. To show that U is open, we need to show that for any continuous function f in U, there exists an open ball around f in \mathcal{C}_{\mathbb{K}}(I) that is contained in U. In other words, we need to show that for any f in U, there exists an \epsilon > 0 such that all continuous functions g in \mathcal{C}_{\mathbb{K}}(I) with ||f-g||_I < \epsilon are also in U.

The purpose of the norm in this problem is to measure the distance between two functions in \mathcal{C}_{\mathbb{K}}(I). By using the supremum norm, we are essentially looking at the maximum difference between the values of the two functions over the interval I. This allows us to control the error in our approximation of the integral \displaystyle \int _a ^b f(x)dx.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions or need further clarification.

1. What is a metric space?

A metric space is a mathematical concept that consists of a set of elements and a distance function that assigns a distance between any two elements in the set. This distance function satisfies certain properties such as being non-negative, symmetric, and satisfying the triangle inequality.

2. What is an open subset in a metric space?

An open subset in a metric space is a subset of the original set that does not contain its boundary points. In other words, every point in the open subset has a small open ball around it that is entirely contained within the subset. This concept is important in topology and analysis, as it allows for the definition of continuous functions and convergence of sequences.

3. How is an open subset different from a closed subset?

An open subset does not contain its boundary points, while a closed subset contains all of its boundary points. Another way to think about it is that an open subset is "hollow" or "empty" at its boundary, while a closed subset is "solid" or "full" at its boundary.

4. How do you determine if a subset is open in a metric space?

To determine if a subset is open in a metric space, you can use the concept of open balls. If every point in the subset has an open ball around it that is entirely contained within the subset, then the subset is open. This means that for any point in the subset, you can find a small enough radius such that all points within that radius are also in the subset.

5. Can a subset be both open and closed in a metric space?

Yes, in some cases a subset can be both open and closed in a metric space. This is known as a clopen set. An example of this is the set of all real numbers between 0 and 1, which is both open and closed in the metric space of real numbers with the usual distance function.