• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Metric Spaces (Proof)

• Thread starter CornMuffin
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Let [tex](X_k,d_k)[/tex], [tex]1\leq k<\infty [/tex] be metric spaces
Let [tex]X=\prod _{k=1}^{\infty} X_k [/tex] be their Cartesian product,
that is, let [tex]X[/tex] be the set of sequences [tex](x_1,x_2,...)[/tex], where [tex]x_j\in X_j[/tex] for [tex]1\leq j < \infty [/tex]

Show that a sequence [tex] \left\{x^{(k)}\right\}_{k=1}^{ \infty } [/tex] converges in [tex]X[/tex] if and only if [tex] \left\{x_j^{(k)}\right\}_{k=1}^{ \infty } [/tex] converges in [tex] X_j [/tex] for each [tex] j \geq 1. [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume [tex] \left\{x^{(k)}\right\}_{k=1}^{ \infty } [/tex] converges in [tex]X[/tex].
then [tex] \left\{x^{(k)}\right\}_{k=1}^{ \infty } = (a_{11},a_{21},...),(a_{12},a_{22},...),...[/tex] where [tex] a_{ik} \in X_i [/tex]
So, [tex] \left\{x^{(k)}\right\}_{k=1}^{ \infty } [/tex] converges to [tex]c_i [/tex]

Assume [tex] \left\{x_j^{(k)}\right\}_{k=1}^{ \infty } [/tex] converges in [tex]X_j [/tex] for each [tex] j \geq 1 [/tex]
so, [tex] \left\{x^{(k)}\right\}_{k=1}^{ \infty } = (a_{11},a_{21},...),(a_{12},a_{22},...),...[/tex] where [tex] \left\{x_j^{(k)}\right\}_{k=1}^{ \infty } = a_{j1},a_{j2},...[/tex] converges to [tex]c_j[/tex]
So, [tex] \left\{x^{(k)}\right\}_{k=1}^{ \infty } [/tex] converges to [tex] (c_1,c_2,...) [/tex]

Answers and Replies

jbunniii
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Can you tell us what is the metric on [itex]X[/itex]?

Can you tell us what is the metric on [itex]X[/itex]?
I don't think it gives an explicit metric on X, but from part a (this is part b), it asks to show that something is a metric on X, but I didn't think that carried over (but maybe it does)

from part a:
Show that

[tex] d(x,y) = \sum _{j=1}^{ \infty }\frac{1}{2^j}min(1,d_j(x_j,y_j)) [/tex]

is a metric on [tex]X[/tex]

(idk why it kept isametric in the tex tags :(

jbunniii
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I don't think it gives an explicit metric on X, but from part a (this is part b), it asks to show that something is a metric on X, but I didn't think that carried over (but maybe it does)

from part a:
Show that
[tex] d(x,y) = \sum _{j=1}^{ \infty }\frac{1}{2^j}min(1,d_j(x_j,y_j)) [/tex]

is a metric on [tex]X[/tex]
I think it must carry over, because there's more than one way to define a metric on [itex]X[/itex] and it's hard to talk about convergence in a metric space if you don't specify what the metric is. Try proceeding under that assumption and let us know if you get stuck.