Exploring the Region of Functions: C [0,1] & Sup Metric

In summary, the question is about finding the region in which functions in B = {g Є C[0,1]: 1 ≤ d(g,f) ≤ 3} have their graphs, given the function f(x)=x²+2. This region can be described as the area between the parabolas y=x^2+5 and y=x^2+3, as well as the area between the parabolas y=x^2+1 and y=x^2-1. The functions h(x)=6x and k(x)=2+x/2 are also mentioned in relation to B, and it is asked whether they are included in B.
rolylane
Hi there

I have a proof that I need to try to work out but I'm not really getting too far and need help if you could at all. The question is

Consider C [0,1] with the sup metric. Let f:[0,1]→R be the function given by f(x)=x²+2. Let B={g Є C[0,1]: 1 ≤ d(g,f) ≤ 3}
Describe the region in which the functions in B have their graphs
Let h:[0,1]→R be the function given by h(x)= 6x and Let k:[0,1]→R be the function given by k(x)=2+x/2. Is h Є B? Is k Є B?

Any help at all would be so great
Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
B = region between the parabolas y=x^2+5 and y=x^2+3 and region between the parobolas y=x^2+1 and y=x^2-1. Draw a picture.

andytoh said:
B = region between the parabolas y=x^2+5 and y=x^2+3 and region between the parobolas y=x^2+1 and y=x^2-1. Draw a picture.

I'll try that and see how I get on then. Thanks so much for your suggestion.

Cheers!

1. What is the C [0,1] region of functions?

The C [0,1] region of functions refers to the set of all continuous functions defined on the closed interval [0,1]. These functions have values between 0 and 1, inclusive, and are defined for all points in the interval.

2. What is the Sup metric used for in this context?

The Sup metric, also known as the supremum metric, is a way to measure the distance between two functions in the C [0,1] region. It measures the maximum difference between the values of the two functions at any point in the interval.

3. How is the Sup metric calculated?

The Sup metric is calculated by finding the absolute value of the difference between the two functions at each point in the interval, and then taking the maximum of these values as the metric. In other words, it is the maximum of the absolute value of the difference between the two functions at any point in the interval.

4. What does it mean for two functions to be close in the Sup metric?

If two functions are close in the Sup metric, it means that the maximum difference between their values at any point in the interval is small. In other words, the functions are similar and do not deviate significantly from each other over the entire interval.

5. How is the Sup metric useful in exploring the C [0,1] region of functions?

The Sup metric allows us to quantitatively measure the distance between two functions in the C [0,1] region. This can help us understand the properties of functions in this region, such as continuity and uniform convergence. It also allows us to compare and analyze different functions in this region based on their Sup metric values.