1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metric spaces

1. Feb 23, 2005 #1
    Here’s a problem I’ve been struggling with, for a while….
    If (X,d) is a metric space and f:X-->X is a continuous function, then show that A={ x in X : f(x)=x} is a closed set.
    One possible way that I can think of is defining a new function g(x) = f(x)-x .Then A={x in X : g(x) =0}. Now {0} is closed, so by property of continuity, inverse image of a closed set is closed. Thus A is closed.
    However, I’d like to do this problem using the basic definition of closed sets, i.e. show that the complement of A is open….so if I pick up an element ‘p’ not belonging to A, I must find a radius r so that B(p,r) is contained in the complement of A. This is where I’m getting stuck… please help !!! :confused:
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use the definition of continuity. If f is continuous at p, then there is an open ball of radius r around p such that for all x in that ball, f(x) is arbitrarily close to f(p). Make that arbitrary distance, [itex]\epsilon[/itex] < |f(p)|.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?